Join for free
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2017, 12:23 AM

Blue passports? They say we could have had them all along...

What is this Brexiteer furore about bringing back the blue passports? Seems it's yet another fake news bit of spin to whip up emotions in people who don't know the facts.

For those who think this is somehow symbolic of us leaving the EU and having our freedom, read the following 3 times (just to ensure it sinks in) :

NEWSFLASH***We never had to take the burgundy passports - it was entirely our decision***

"The EU never mandated burgundy passports: it simply produced a standard format that many member states chose to use for the sake of convenience. I imagine that the then UK government assumed that nobody cared that much about the colour of passports. It’s now clear that apparently trivial symbols of national identity are very meaningful for a lot of people. ....

...The Eurosceptic media used to complain about the size of British passports: the burgundy passports issued in the past few decades were smaller than the old blue ones. They have gone quiet about this recently, perhaps because they know that this isn’t something the UK can change after Brexit. Passport size, along with several other features, is mandated by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), an agency of the UN. Today’s passports are machine-readable, and an international standard is required so that all passports will fit the machines used in airports."

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...dy-passport-eu
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2017, 02:07 AM

Re: Blue passports? They say we could have had them all along...

I really do feel sorry for you Annie..

you really seem to think the whole Brexit thing was about the colour of the passport!!!

You are mental !
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2017, 02:19 AM

The horrible burgundy passport (that wasn't mandated) gave visa free border less travel throughout the EU.
The lovely Blue one doesn't
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2017, 02:21 AM

Well believe it or not Moscow one of my Brexit-loving friends posted a comment about this on Facebook last year around the time of the vote. He said the blue passports were what he was looking forward to getting back most. His brexit-loving buddies posted supportive grunts followed by a rant on immigration etc. Little did they know that we had control of passports all along, just like we had control of immigration.... Still I am sure it will all be worth it in 2099 when Dyson robots have taken over the planet and turned the British economy around...
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

23-12-2017, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
The horrible burgundy passport (that wasn't mandated) gave visa free border less travel throughout the EU.
The lovely Blue one doesn't
Funny thing is that we could have kept the colour as blue. Croatia has. Talk about wool being pulled over eyes. You'd have a scarf long enough to reach from John o'Groats to Land's end.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2017, 03:33 AM

Hi

The be fair, it has been touted in The Express and others that we should get our blue one's back and that it was an EU rule which made us change,

It never was a rule and we won't be getting our old one back, simply because under International rules they are all they are all now the same size and format so that they fit in the standard readers.

Because we have asked for a Transition Period, we are still part of the Single Market, so standby for the backlash when it goes out to Tender and it is won by a European Company.

It would have been better to wait and then we could have just printed it ourselves.

Most Governments print their own, we privatised HMSO, another stupid thing to do, so we have to put it out to Tender.

Access to Public Procurement Tenders is a standard part of any Trade Agreement, so in future it could be printed in China or India or any other Country we have a Trade Deal with.

The only sensible thing to do is to take it back Inhouse, that way we keep control of a vital document.

We can also expect a backlash from the PC Brigade, a blue passport does not reflect the diversity of the UK, we should have a pink one, or rainbow coloured.

My final point is this.

£490 Million is a lot to spend at the moment, it would pay for sprinkler systems in all our Tower Blocks.

Money better spent in my opinion, a blue passport can wait until we have left and can print it ourselves.

It is also my view that we could have issued an ID Card with one, minimal cost, the info is already there, just an extra £3 for the card.

We could have then rolled them out for everyone.

It is my view that ID Cards are essential, not only for our National Security, but also so we can deport all the Illegals here.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2017, 03:55 AM

I personally don't give a rat's ass what colour my passport is. Sky blue pink with yellow dots would be okay by me.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2017, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I personally don't give a rat's ass what colour my passport is. Sky blue pink with yellow dots would be okay by me.
Hi

Exactly Floydy, as long as it gets us through the Fast Lane, that is all that I am bothered about.

Well apart from the fact that when I go to SE Asia and check in. a sky blue pink Passport would mean the hotel would send me a procession of Ladyboys.

Most definitely not my thing.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2017, 06:48 AM

My passport is, and always has been, GREEN !
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2017, 07:37 AM

Don't know what the fuss is about, my passport is, and always has always been, blue:

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top