Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2018, 10:54 AM

Re: Brexit and the Automotive Industry

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
They are not politically-motivated, but financially. You cannot judge them in the way you can judge individuals.
They certainly are politically motivated. You only have to see the way they lobbied various governments in order to get their way.

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Everything is possible with business, but it doesn't mean staying in the UK and providing the UK with jobs and investment. Business is not human and emotional but has a heart of finance. That's why Dyson has long produced in the Far East rather than the UK.
You really need do need to brush up on your facts Annie. Much of the production has been back to the UK and right now Dyson is investing even more money in his research in the UK as these links show

https://www.ft.com/content/528c518c-...4-00144feab7de

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...expansion-plan

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The deal with Nissan.

Nobody knows what it is, other than ir was done to make sure a new model was produced in Sunderland.

Nissan is thought of as Japanese, it is not.

Renault own a 43.5% controlling voting stake in Nissan, Nissan owns a 15% non voting stake in Renault.

The biggest shareholder in Renault is the French Government.

In April 2015, the French government upped their stake in Renault to 19.73 percent with the aim of blocking a resolution at the next annual general meeting that could reduce its control over the company.

So, the deal with Renault is basically bribing the French.

We privatised everything, other countries did not.
My reasoning may be a little flawed but I would have thought that the fact that Nissan is part owned by Renault would be even more of an incentive for the French to go for a free-trade deal. Perhaps because most of the engines in Nissan cars are built by Renault and have to be imported into the UK. I would imagine that much of this is equally true of other foreign manufacturers whose parts and cars imported into the UK. In fact from what I've read the German car manufacturers are getting exceedingly nervous about their government's handling of Brexit
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2018, 12:01 PM

Hi

I am also of the opinion that we will get a Trade Deal, however it is not the one we want.

The vast majority of our exports to the EU are services, which will not be covered. by any such deal.

It will however cover manufactured goods, which the EU export far more to us than we do to them.

That way, the EU will make a profit out of us leaving.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2018, 01:15 PM

Rainmaker I did look into Dyson quite recently and am aware of the R&D investment. But i cannot find a source confirming he is moving production back from Singapore. In fact the link confirms that he has also invested in an R&D facility in Singapore. Let's hope that if he does produce electric cars and robots he does so in the UK.
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2018, 07:24 PM

Isn't the point though, that the Dyson is creating more jobs in this country. Some of them may be going abroad but the majority benefit the UK. Dyson are an international company now and as such they will have factories other countries.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2018, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rainmaker ->
Isn't the point though, that the Dyson is creating more jobs in this country. Some of them may be going abroad but the majority benefit the UK. Dyson are an international company now and as such they will have factories other countries.
It is excellent that he has created the campus and jobs. He is insistent that the Government allow overseas talent to be allowed to come over here to study and work for him. I think this was in response to the proposal of including student numbers in the immigration figures and making it harder for overseas students to come over.

They are still a privately owned company, so although they export globally they don't have faceless shareholders to answer to. They don't have that push to provide shareholder wealth that publicly owned enterprises do.
There was a big outcry when they moved production abroad.

The interesting thing about Dyson is that he was in favour of the Euro. Something I strongly disagreed with for the UK.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2018, 11:08 PM

Never mind; let's cheer ourselves up with a song

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top