Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 05:13 PM

Re: Exhausted

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Val J, It took 2 years, for me, but here I am living a perfectly normal life after since 2013. There are some side effects, from Chemo, that you never get rid of. It destroyed my mucus membranes, in my nose, so I find sneezing occurs more often. It is only a trivial thing and you learn to live with it.... so don't worry
I have trouble with my nose too but not sneezing, it’s sore and bleeds. All normal for the drugs I’m taking I’m told, but quite uncomfortable. I thought as I got further into my treatment I would get used to the side effects, I wasn’t prepared for them getting worse. I think the worst are the sickly feeling and tiredness but I’m resisting taking the anti sickness drugs as I feel I take enough already.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Val J ->
I have trouble with my nose too but not sneezing, it’s sore and bleeds. All normal for the drugs I’m taking I’m told, but quite uncomfortable. I thought as I got further into my treatment I would get used to the side effects, I wasn’t prepared for them getting worse. I think the worst are the sickly feeling and tiredness but I’m resisting taking the anti sickness drugs as I feel I take enough already.
Val, sickness is a very common side effect to Chemo drugs, but the sickness pills are very useful if you are suffering.
Don't forget that the ingredients of the Chemo are poison, but in very measured doses, so you are bound to feel ill.... but they are not poisonous enough to kill you.
Cancer cells are mutant body cells that increase at a much faster rate than ordinary cells ... and they don't like the poison in the Chemo! This means that they are killed much faster than your ordinary cells, and that is how the treatment works so well.
I don't know how long your chemo is being given for, or if it has finished yet, but It could take a while to get back to normal...although your body does heal from the poison. Make a note of how you feel during the chemo, and when it is finished make notes on how you feel each month. It isn't immediately obvious that you are recovering. but if you look back at the first set of notes you will notice that you are.
The best advice I can give you is " Be determined that you will beat the illness, rather than let it beat you". My oncologist told me that positive attitudes really help...and I know my positivity did for me!
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2018, 06:13 PM

Twink, I’m halfway through 8 two weekly cycles of chemo. They had to change my drugs as I had a severe allergic reaction to the first chemo they gave me. This is completely different, I spend 6 hours on the unit and wear a pump for another 46 hours at home on top. I receive all drugs through a Hickman Line. I don’t know whether anyone here is familiar with this but the line goes in through my jugular and out through my chest, all drugs are given to me through this and also they take my blood samples from there. it saves them having to dig about for veins every time.

I like your idea of keeping a diary of how I feel. I do try to stay positive and have lots of support and it’s lovely to hear from people on here who have beaten the dreaded illness.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top