Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 03:55 PM

Dog clipping

Chatting on the morning thread about dog clipping. We have two cockerpoos who we clip every four to five weeks. They get a wash most days when we get back from our walk, but we only shampoo them around four times a year.

What is your routine?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 04:00 PM

Re: Dog clipping

I have a border collie .
I am now washing his feet with shampoo after every walk as there is Alabama Rot in the area.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 04:16 PM

When I had Alfie ( cocker spaniel ) and before him Gunnar ( cocker spaniel) they were both clipped every six weeks

Alfie had to be bathed twice a week as he had a skin condition
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 04:25 PM

I have always thought that frequent shampooing wasn't good for dogs as it removes the natural oils that protect their skin, although I can understand it could be necessary for medical reasons.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 04:29 PM

ChoCho is booked in for clipping and bathing every 6 to 8 weeks. Her hair really does grow quickly, left any longer and itīs hard to tell one end from the other.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I have always thought that frequent shampooing wasn't good for dogs as it removes the natural oils that protect their skin, although I can understand it could be necessary for medical reasons.
His shampoo had to be rubbed in and left for 20 mins before rinsing off. He had seborrhic dermatitis which made him very sore and itchy
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Chatting on the morning thread about dog clipping. We have two cockerpoos who we clip every four to five weeks. They get a wash most days when we get back from our walk, but we only shampoo them around four times a year.

What is your routine?
Almost the same Barry
..daily leg wash
..trim every 5-6 weeks
..occasional full bath every few months sometimes with shampoo sometimes just water.
..daily teeth clean /back brush with a soft bristle baby brush and beard and feathering combed.

Minis are meant to be hand stripped but I can't manage it these days with my old hands and standing for hours in the garage.

I still use my 50 year old hauptner hand shears and a durham duplex a lot of the time and electric clippers in the winter
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 05:43 PM

I’d like to be able to clip Holly myself. I do have a set which I bought locally for Ģ15 recently. It’s too soon yet being winter but she is looking a bit scruffy. To those who clip yourselves, did you learn as you went along, or what? I could watch YouTube videos when doing her, I suppose!

But if only I knew someone who could do her and let me watch and learn. Prolly not...taking business from them, lol.

I brush her most days and she then looks white and gorgeous, but though I only cleaned her paws the other day really think she could do with a damn good wash.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts

12-02-2018, 05:56 PM

We bought a decent set of Anders hair clippers after watching a couple of youtube videos, it's not rocket science and if you do cock it up the customer never complains anyway..

By the way we have only just changed the blades for a new set just in case they were getting blunt, but they don't seem to be any better so I guess they must pretty much last forever...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 08:03 PM

That's what I wanted to know earlier Barry - about the blades.

One of mine has got such a dense coat - it really is like a sheep fleece - and the clippers don't go through it very well.
I changed the blade thinking that was the problem, but hers is still difficult to clip. The blade glides through the other dogs, so it must just be this particular one's coat.

Mine are Wahl clippers, I've forgotten which particular model at the mo.
I also have the much smaller ones for paws too. I oil them regularly, and have tried different combs on them, but still have trouble with the old gal's coat.

Jazzi, personally, I would have got Holly used to the sound and feel of clippers as early as possible. You don't have to take much off at all, because it depends on which length comb you fit on the blade.
She's got a little coat to wear if it's very cold hasn't she, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top