Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 06:37 AM

Gold Coast is dead - killed by the Games.

The Commonwealth Games killed Gold Coast business.

Deserted streets, empty cafes and angry taxi drivers as local businesses battle unexpected downturn

On the tourist strip of Cavill Avenue, people spill out of bars in the early afternoon. Footpaths are jostling with all sorts: groups of teenagers straggling back from the beach, families walking to lunch.

About 150 metres from Cavill, in the heart of Surfers Paradise, a couple of backpackers eat their lunch in an otherwise empty laneway.

Carla Viera runs the Orchid Vegetarian cafe, tucked away from the main strip. The period should be one of her busiest of the year – the temperature is still 27C and perfect for the beach. In Queensland, schools have been in recess since the Easter long weekend.

For the first week of the the Games the Gold Coast was empty after locals were told that the area would be crowded. It appears that everybody left. Business has picked up during the second week as people realised that it was not as bad as predicted.

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...onwealth-games
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 07:05 AM

Re: Gold Coast is dead - killed by the Games.

And ?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 10:57 AM

I do feel sorry for them I'm betting they put a lot of effort into it all expecting more people. Around the stadiums in London they suffered similarly during the olymics all the concessions inside the stadium sold everything needed, so the local shops hardly saw any increase, very much not what they were told to expect.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I do feel sorry for them I'm betting they put a lot of effort into it all expecting more people. Around the stadiums in London they suffered similarly during the olymics all the concessions inside the stadium sold everything needed, so the local shops hardly saw any increase, very much not what they were told to expect.
I think what really affected them was that they also lost their regular trade because a lot of the local people went away for the fortnight while the games were on expecting the area to be crowded with visitors. It just didn't happen.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I think what really affected them was that they also lost their regular trade because a lot of the local people went away for the fortnight while the games were on expecting the area to be crowded with visitors. It just didn't happen.
Yes that makes sense, it's a shame I hope the shop keepers can recover from it, must have cost them a lot.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 01:46 PM

I've always found the Commonwealth games meaningless as a sporting event. Where are the Russians, the Americans, the Brazilians? It's not really about who is best at a sport.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

13-04-2018, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I've always found the Commonwealth games meaningless as a sporting event. Where are the Russians, the Americans, the Brazilians? It's not really about who is best at a sport.
Were they ever part of the commonwealth ?
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 01:51 PM

Clearly not, but I don't want to watch a meaningless 100m event.

Partly why I don't own a TV - so much rubbish.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

14-04-2018, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I agree
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2018, 08:40 AM

happened here as well when held in the UK

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top