Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 08:33 PM

Cruel

I heard today that a friend of mine has been put in a Care home by her daughter,and she musnt have any visitors for 3 weeks to let her settle in.My poor friend was suffering a bit from alzhiemers,I dont know what she was like indoord but she loved to walk in the park near her house and talk to people , also she always remembered to come to our social morning once a week and to have her hair done every 2 weeks.She wil be so lost ,she wasnt even told she was going in advance
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 08:36 PM

Re: Cruel

Originally Posted by deylon ->
I heard today that a friend of mine has been put in a Care home by her daughter,and she musnt have any visitors for 3 weeks to let her settle in.My poor friend was suffering a bit from alzhiemers,I dont know what she was like indoord but she loved to walk in the park near her house and talk to people , also she always remembered to come to our social morning once a week and to have her hair done every 2 weeks.She wil be so lost ,she wasnt even told she was going in advance
This is a topic that really upsets me. NO visitors that is too cruel!!! No wonder the poor souls end up with PTSD.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 08:36 PM

@deylon.

Cruel?

You nor anybody else, apart from closest family and carers, could possibly know the full circumstances or how bad she'd become.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 08:37 PM

I would query the people who run the home about the 'No visitors' rule.

It seems unduly cruel to me.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I would query the people who run the home about the 'No visitors' rule.

It seems unduly cruel to me.
Entirely the wrong approach.
oldfool
london
oldfool is male  oldfool has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 08:59 PM

very suspicious - whats to hide ?
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 09:05 PM

My mum has just gone into a Care/Nursing Home, the no visiting rule is there as well but only for 24 hours. I think the 3 week one is way OTT and very strange, I'd not have let my mum go into one that was as strict as that..
twizzle
somerset
twizzle is female  twizzle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 10:08 PM

That's horrific, it sounds very odd to me. Did you hear it from the care home directly or just from the daughter?

Just because she's in a care home doesn't mean she loses her rights, unless she's been sectioned. So if she wants to see her friends, go for a walk etc, what right do they have to stop her, she's not a prisoner.

Brutal, and I'm not sure it's legal. I'd be inclined to phone the home myself or just turn up and try to see her. And I'd be asking a lot of questions.

Can someone just put you into a care home? Surely you'd have to agree unless you're deemed unable to make the decision?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 10:21 PM

At one stage, we thought my Mum was going to need 24 hr care.

One quite posh place I went to check out, also had this rule - No visitors for 2 weeks.

I imagined if it were me. If I had been taken to a strange place, not knowing a soul there.
Strange room, strange bed, strange people around me - nothing familiar or personal to me whatsoever.

I decided that is when I would want a loving friend/family member with me more than ever.
To move me and take away everything and everybody I loved would be like torture. Then not be allowed to even see them as well . . . .
So I had my answer.

I told the Manageress - No thanks. Mum won't be coming here.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by twizzle ->
That's horrific, it sounds very odd to me. Did you hear it from the care home directly or just from the daughter?

Just because she's in a care home doesn't mean she loses her rights, unless she's been sectioned. So if she wants to see her friends, go for a walk etc, what right do they have to stop her, she's not a prisoner.

Brutal, and I'm not sure it's legal. I'd be inclined to phone the home myself or just turn up and try to see her. And I'd be asking a lot of questions.

Can someone just put you into a care home? Surely you'd have to agree unless you're deemed unable to make the decision?
Data protection?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top