Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 05:31 PM

British Timber Dog

I have just heard of this breed .
I met one and thought it was husky crossed with a Great Dane but it's owner told me it's a British Timber dog .
It looked like it had escaped from Call of the Wild very wolf like.
This picture doesn't give a true idea of its size it's was big .
I was surprised to find that there is a British Lupine Society and many wolf dogs are being brought in from abroad .

http://www.britishlupinedog.co.uk/about-the-breed.html

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1281.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	5188  
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 06:29 PM

Re: British Timber Dog

I have only ever seen one dog like the one in the picture. It belonged to a man who lived in the same area as us in the UK. We would often see him walking the dog and stop for a chat. He told us that his dog had been bought via a friend from Canada. The dog appeared to be well trained but about 8 or 9 months after he had the dog, the authorities removed it from him. It had evidently been decided it should be classed as a wild animal and he didnīt have the licence and facilities to keep it.

This was quite some years ago now and I have no idea what happened, whether he ever got the dog back or not, or what happened to the dog. We never saw it or the man again. We only knew the dog had been removed and that the owner was fighting to get it back because an article appeared in a local paper about this.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 08:23 PM

They sound like a really nice loyal dog with lots of love and affection.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 10:16 PM

Never heard of it either.
A nice looking dog though.
The link says:

...re-created in the British Lupine Dog by selecting puppies with the best natural qualities from a wide gene pool, including German Shepherd, Husky, Malamute, Northern Inuit, Utonagan and Saarloos
I can see Malamute in it for sure.

The link also mentions the Northern Inuit which I do know.
Interestingly it was developed in the UK!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Inuit_Dog
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 08:02 AM

What a lovely looking dog!
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 09:21 AM

Handsome dog, you'd just think it was a big, skinny Malamute.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
What a lovely looking dog!
I agree Tabby. I know a dog like that could harm you, but I am sure a Yorkshire terrier could give you a nasty bite..... it is all down to how well they have been trained to deal with humans.
I know their wolf like size and features make them look fierce, but that is why they are so handsome.
I always wonder how a feral kitten feels, when a human picks them up, but when they learn to trust you and get food, they soon change.
A beautiful dog, like that, can become a best friend, or a killer....depending on how they are taught to relate to humans!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 09:33 AM

Feral kittens generally hurt people when they pick them up!
I understand you have to get them before their eyes open.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Feral kittens generally hurt people when they pick them up!
I understand you have to get them before their eyes open.
The one I had was an orphaned female, about 3 weeks old and a lady with arthritis was finding it difficult to open tins of sardines to put out for her, to keep her alive..so I brought her to my house.
She had never lived in a house, and I did get a few scratches, but within 3 weeks she was tame and healthy and named Suzy. She survived until she was twenty two and a half years old!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I agree Tabby. I know a dog like that could harm you, but I am sure a Yorkshire terrier could give you a nasty bite..... it is all down to how well they have been trained to deal with humans.
I know their wolf like size and features make them look fierce, but that is why they are so handsome.
I always wonder how a feral kitten feels, when a human picks them up, but when they learn to trust you and get food, they soon change.
A beautiful dog, like that, can become a best friend, or a killer....depending on how they are taught to relate to humans!
I do agree but I think most of us could fight off a yorkie but a large dog no. It's an amazing looking dog, but all those breeds mixed I'd not want one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top