Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Philipholmes
New Member!
Bristol
Philipholmes is male 

17-12-2014, 03:30 PM

Re: Airport Experience

I beg to differ, im not acting on what I read just taking it in, due to the fact I'm doing primary research I cannot be bias and take sides so Im saying it how I see it, trying to keep it broad to understand each individuals problems as they write it, my last post was a quick summary of what I feel the areas that you are all taking about fall into.

I understand your experience, you were poorly looked after with no refreshments (which is the minimal they could have offered), given little information, struggled to deal with this lady at the desk due to her incompetence, stuck in a seat for way too long and as a result became ill, this is all great information, sorry i seemed to breeze over it in my last post but I have noted it down as one of the worst experiences, I was just addressing all that have commented.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2014, 03:52 PM

Philipholmes

Half the airport problems are the passangers themselves. They leave everything to the last minute and then expect all and sundry to rush about on their behalf.
Having experienced several airports from China to Brazil never had any problems as I try to give myself at least 2 hours in the airports to find out what I need to know and relax- get a coffee and watch others running about like blue a*se flies.

Providing one obeys the airport rules ie smoking -food- security etc then there is no problem.

Flight delays and/or cancellations yes cause difficulties but most if not all airline ground staff do their best and this is not their fault
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2014, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Philipholmes

Half the airport problems are the passangers themselves. They leave everything to the last minute and then expect all and sundry to rush about on their behalf.

Absolutely, its just like the trains they would all run much better if they didn't have to carry passengers.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2014, 01:40 AM

my last vacation I was travelling from Manchester to Atlanta, they had installed machines where you were supposed to check in, it wasn't quite straightforward when you're used to just going to a check in desk, I would imagine for older people it would be nigh on impossible for them to do what was requested on screen.

The problem is technology has taken over and what might be easier for the ground staff is certainly not easy for the passengers, I used to think it was exciting just arriving at the airport but as there has been so many changes it became a chore and caused confusion for many including me!

I decided I wouldn't go abroad again, been there done that several times without any stress whatsoever but the recent changes overall have put me off future air travel
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2014, 06:27 AM

Dear Philip

I also don't believe you've taken in what has been written here and would suggest your research would be better conducted in situ, directly observing those who do and those who don't have problems. Whilst I appreciate you may find this substantially more expensive than drawing conclusions from comments in this forum, the benefits would outweigh the costs............(which would be tax deductible for a business in the UK).
However I do believe there are areas within your skill-set which requirement improvement and you could learn a great deal from the people on this forum. I would define these areas in four general categories:
1. Tact - This is an over 50's forum. You will be over 50 one day and you will not appreciate being referred to as 'elderly' or OAP; decrepit, fatigued or unable to cope with modern technology.
2. Grammar - 'there' is the place i.e. not here; 'they're' is the contracted form of 'they are'; and 'their' is the possessive form indicating belonging to them. Also, learn to use possessive apostrophes properly and you'll create at least some small semblance of intelligence!
3. English - do learn old chap! Terms such as 'wayfindings' hardly ever happen! Distance is also generally still in imperial measures............at least to this age group. There are a number of other instances in which your non-uk background is immediate apparent!
4. The customer is always right........even in non-fee paying situations - you could be a little more courteous when queries are raised.
Fender Bender
By the pc
Fender Bender is male  Fender Bender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2014, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Dear Philip

I also don't believe you've taken in what has been written here and would suggest your research would be better conducted in situ, directly observing those who do and those who don't have problems. Whilst I appreciate you may find this substantially more expensive than drawing conclusions from comments in this forum, the benefits would outweigh the costs............(which would be tax deductible for a business in the UK).
However I do believe there are areas within your skill-set which requirement improvement and you could learn a great deal from the people on this forum. I would define these areas in four general categories:
1. Tact - This is an over 50's forum. You will be over 50 one day and you will not appreciate being referred to as 'elderly' or OAP; decrepit, fatigued or unable to cope with modern technology.
2. Grammar - 'there' is the place i.e. not here; 'they're' is the contracted form of 'they are'; and 'their' is the possessive form indicating belonging to them. Also, learn to use possessive apostrophes properly and you'll create at least some small semblance of intelligence!
3. English - do learn old chap! Terms such as 'wayfindings' hardly ever happen! Distance is also generally still in imperial measures............at least to this age group. There are a number of other instances in which your non-uk background is immediate apparent!
4. The customer is always right........even in non-fee paying situations - you could be a little more courteous when queries are raised.
What a good post that is!

The thing that should have been obvious to the op is that the comments from all that replied should have generated questions before any conclusions were made.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2014, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Fender Bender ->
What a good post that is!

The thing that should have been obvious to the op is that the comments from all that replied should have generated questions before any conclusions were made.
Thank you ...........and perhaps we should also be asking questions about how someone who obviously does not conform to forum age requirements, is permitted........without notice to forum members........to patronise forum members for apparent marketing purposes! Is this a possible commercial move by the forum owner and forum members can expect to be exploited by Messrs Tom, Dick and Harry and subjected to market research?

I'll copy this post and put it in the Ask the Forum Owner section!!!!
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2014, 01:19 PM

My son's girlfriend was talking about flying first class. She's done it with her parents a few times. Now, I could do that! If I won the lottery.........
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2014, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Absolutely, its just like the trains they would all run much better if they didn't have to carry passengers.
Thanks for My first 'laugh out loud' of the day ;~)
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2014, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Thank you ...........and perhaps we should also be asking questions about how someone who obviously does not conform to forum age requirements, is permitted........without notice to forum members........to patronise forum members for apparent marketing purposes! Is this a possible commercial move by the forum owner and forum members can expect to be exploited by Messrs Tom, Dick and Harry and subjected to market research?

I'll copy this post and put it in the Ask the Forum Owner section!!!!
Huh??

No, this isn't a "commercial move by the forum owner". I had no idea this thread was posted or that the OP registered until you posted in the Contact Admin section.

I have checked the OP's IP and it belongs to the University Of The West Of England Bristol.

I think the thread is fine, yes he could have given more details in his post but I'm not going to hold it against him - if his research can help improve things for older generations I'm all for it. Anyone not interested can just ignore the thread

With regards to age, there isn't currently a registration condition stating people must be over 50 to join. I don't think we need to change that yet as I don't believe it has caused any problems to date.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top