Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2014, 04:25 PM

Re: Silence !

Just imagine how bad it would be if were were capable of hearing every sound from the insects chattering to the wildest gas storms and explosions on the Sun, I think our ears are only geared to allow the sounds we need to get through, even the other half’s snoring. Death is the only way to get complete silence.

There was a program on TV some months ago on a similar topic, all about nothing, it seems there is no such thing as nothing, there is always something there all the time, interesting stuff but all very much over my head, I don't know why I watch these programs but I love all the wild theories they come up with, I ended up trying to console meself by singing “I got plenty of nothing, nothing’s plenty for me…”
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2014, 04:30 PM

I rarely have silence due to tinnitus but it is pretty quiet here with just the wind in the trees and the sheep bleating at night
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2014, 04:31 PM

If a tree falls in a wood and there si no one there to hear it. Does it make a sound ?

What is the sound of one hand clapping ?.

I can never achive silence, Tinnitus makes sure of that.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2014, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Being a Quaker I spend a fair bit of time in silence, I can absolutely say it doesn't exist - some people make some very worrying bodily noises !
Having attended Quaker Meetings I know exactly what you mean, Julie !
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2014, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Having attended Quaker Meetings I know exactly what you mean, Julie !
Could be the Oats - don't agree with everyone ya know
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2014, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Down a coal mine gets pretty close when you are on your own. If you turn your lamp off it's pitch black, not even the slightest hint of light.
But even in a coal mine you would have the scurrying of the rats, the drip of water and the creaking of the pit props. A miner once told me that if the props stopped creaking it was a sign that a cave-in was about to happen.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

17-12-2014, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Could be the Oats - don't agree with everyone ya know
Go and stand in the naughty corner, Patsy, this a serious subject !
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2014, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Go and stand in the naughty corner, Patsy, this a serious subject !
I'm off ! I know where it is by now
ZsaZsa
Miskolc Hungary
ZsaZsa is female  ZsaZsa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2014, 02:58 PM

Some years ago when my son was sailing from Madagascar to the Comores the yacht he was on got caught in the eye of a typhoon. I remember him saying it was the nearest he'd ever come to experiencing total silence!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2014, 09:09 PM

Animals can hear sounds we can't hear and maybe we can hear sounds they can't hear, my dog pays absolutely no attention to the radio or the TV, it's as like he can't hear it or it's just not there, he's not deaf, even it a dog barks on the air it makes no difference to him. On second thoughts maybe he's super clever and just ignores all the the crap thats on.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top