Join for free
Page 144 of 274 « First < 44 94 134 142 143 144 145 146 154 194 244 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 12:18 PM

Re: Floydy's All-Time Top 1000 Favourite Albums

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
How are you doing those A-Zs Floydy? Are you typing them all out or using some sort of programme?
I used MS Word to plan out my original list. Now it's in order I can highlight whichever column I need (number, artist, title, year) then click on the 'A-Z' icon on the top bar to assemble the list in any way I choose.
Normally I have the full list descending from No.1000 down to No.1 and scroll down as I post each one, shading the ones I've reached so far.
As it gets further down I'm actually hiding what comes next until I post it, to make it more exciting for me too!

With the A-Z lists, it's just a matter of arranging the acts in alphabetical order and then converting from table to text format. But it's in the artist's first name order only.
I have to remember to do this from a copy though in case I (a) post the full list by mistake or (b) end up deleting it all
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 03:26 PM

Okay, back on it...

No.350: "American Recordings" by Johnny Cash (1994)
This was the first album in the ultimately 7-CD (plus a box set) series of Johnny Cash's comeback teaming with producer Rick Rubin. Much has been said in the other posts, so I'll just post the vids. The second song here was written by Nick Lowe:

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I used MS Word to plan out my original list. Now it's in order I can highlight whichever column I need (number, artist, title, year) then click on the 'A-Z' icon on the top bar to assemble the list in any way I choose.
Normally I have the full list descending from No.1000 down to No.1 and scroll down as I post each one, shading the ones I've reached so far.
As it gets further down I'm actually hiding what comes next until I post it, to make it more exciting for me too!

With the A-Z lists, it's just a matter of arranging the acts in alphabetical order and then converting from table to text format. But it's in the artist's first name order only.
I have to remember to do this from a copy though in case I (a) post the full list by mistake or (b) end up deleting it all
Thanks for explaining.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

02-04-2018, 03:32 PM

No.349: "Forever Now" by Psychedelic Furs (1982)
The Psychedelic Furs were featured almost right at the beginning of this chart with their follow-up record to this classic. The band was Richard Butler on vocals and they enjoyed some success for around six years during the New romantics boom of the early eighties, though they were not particularly a 'fashion' band, more of a synth-rock outfit. The band recently reformed for a series of live dates.

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

02-04-2018, 03:33 PM

Thanks for explaining.
No worries bud, anytime
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
No.349: "Forever Now" by Psychedelic Furs (1982)
The Psychedelic Furs were featured almost right at the beginning of this chart with their follow-up record to this classic. The band was Richard Butler on vocals and they enjoyed some success for around six years during the New romantics boom of the early eighties, though they were not particularly a 'fashion' band, more of a synth-rock outfit. The band recently reformed for a series of live dates.
I only really know 'Pretty in pink' from the furs. Great song.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

02-04-2018, 03:39 PM

No.348: "The Smiths" by The Smiths (1984)
Debut album from this most popular of eighties Manchester bands. Shunning the dual fads and fashions of the New romantics and the hair metal brigade, Morrissey, Marr and the lads crashed onto the scene with their indie-style guitar-pop offset by Morrissey's dour and (many say) depressing lyrics and vocal tones. But they brought us some great songs in just four short years and are a generation's favourite band of thatra.

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

02-04-2018, 03:40 PM

I only really know 'Pretty in pink' from the furs. Great song.
It certainly is LD, made very famous a few years later with the film of the same name.
The second track I posted there is my personal favourite though. Great lyrics: "President Gas on everything but roller skates"!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

02-04-2018, 03:52 PM

No.347: "Black And White" by The Stranglers (1978)
Sorry for the delay in proceedings. I was trying to find a video full of naked women at Battersea Park, but couldn't download it. Just as well, Meg would have had me shot!
Black & White was The Stranglers third album released in 1978 and wasn't as commercially accepted as their previous two. However, over the years fans are preferred it as it is a great 'Guitar album' and showcases the band's awesome talent. They were far too professional to ever be classed as a punk band anyway, more of a Doors-ish gang of rough lads. The track I mentioned that I couldn't find, 'Nice 'n' Sleazy' is shown here along with a non-album track from the same era, their version of 'Walk On By':

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

02-04-2018, 04:12 PM

No.346: "Double Fantasy" by John Lennon & Yoko Ono (1980)
It's knowing where to start when we think about the surroundings concerning this release and the ensuing events. No historical text required, we know what happened on that fateful day of Dec 8th 1980.

Double Fantasy was the legendary Beatle's first album for five years following his chosen exile in New York, spending time with Yoko and bringing up their child, Sean.
The album contained 14 tracks, seven each from John and Yoko. Their are at least two classic songs on this record, whether Lennon had died or not, plus some other rather decent recordings and some mawkish ones too ('Beautiful Boy', Dear Yoko'). All of the Yoko tracks were of course, crap.
Lennon's rock and roll patische come back single '(Just Like) Starting Over - in brackets because of another hit by somebody else at the time - was a pretty good song and reached No.8 in the UK lists. When Tony Blackburn announced the Top 40 after Lennon's Death, he didn't even do the chart rundown, instead immediately declaring that the single had moved back up the chart from No.21 to No.1 that week, such was the demand for Lennon product.
Andy Peebles hosted what was to be the last radio interview with Lennon (plus his wife) on December 6th, two days before the man was shot dead outside the Dakota Building in New York that fateful morning. I recorded that series of interviews and still them all on five C60 cassettes. My dad woke me up for school and told me what had happened to John Lennon and I didn't go to school that day, it was the first and only time I stayed off. I remember going to all the record shops in town and buying several singles, including the Christmas one.
Moving on then, and the songs I feature here are that comeback song, plus his wonderfully-written 'Watching The Wheels'. To be fair to Yoko, I have added her excellent single 'Walking On Thin Ice' which was not on the album as it was a tribute single of sorts and was released separately in 1981.
Any more stories and thoughts about your own John Lennon recollections would be nice to hear. What were you doing when you heard he had been killed, etc? For now, here's those tracks:

Page 144 of 274 « First < 44 94 134 142 143 144 145 146 154 194 244 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top