Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2014, 07:57 PM

Late flowering MORNING GLORY

I have grown these beautiful "Heavenly Blue" annual climbers on & off all my life.

This was paused back in the 70's when it was alleged that the seeds were hallucinogenic. They weren't, my friends on Planet GREENDOOR will vouch for me.

I digress,
This year I just couldn't get the seeds to germinate & when they did sprout ,the Spanish slugs gottem.

ON September 1st one flower appeared, followed by loads more every day. I had 10 this morning. Aficionados' will know that their exotic flowers, aptly named HEAVENLY only last until lunchtime.

A bit like the legendary MOONFLOWER, discovered by Margaret Mee in the Amazon Rain FOrests.This flower is slow to mature, flowers once on a full moon and dies.

Gardeners are known for their patience.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2014, 09:17 PM

Re: Late flowering MORNING GLORY

ON September 1st one flower appeared, followed by loads more every day. I had 10 this morning. Aficionados' will know that their exotic flowers, aptly named HEAVENLY only last until lunchtime.
Oh well done Robert such a beautiful flower .
venus
Cheshire UK
venus is female  venus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2014, 09:28 PM

What are Spanish slugs? Robert
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2014, 09:48 PM

I love the vibrant blue of Morning Glory (Ipomea). It's a couple of years since I last grew them, this pic was taken a few years ago ....

....... I must remember to try them again next year
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2014, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->

Me too! They really are beautiful.
Somebody please remind me next spring!!
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2014, 08:52 PM

[QUOTE=venus;529969]What are Spanish slugs?

THey are a super sized slug carelessly introduced to us from SPAIN. They are twice the size of our indigenous .
slugs, voracious & worst of prolific breeders

OH if only our continental neighbours ,the frogs, would add them to their revolting menu of frogslegs, horsemeat & snails.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2014, 07:05 AM

I just checked those Spanish beasties out - Wiki says they can grow up to 80-120mm, which is close to 4 3/4 inches.

They're babies to the banana slugs we get on this continent.
The Pacific banana slug (the one we get) grows up to 25 cm - nearly 10 inches! I've never seen one that big though - the average size here would be about 5-6 inches.

With apologies to Morning Glory!
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

11-09-2014, 09:35 PM

Yuk...........
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2014, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I love the vibrant blue of Morning Glory (Ipomea). It's a couple of years since I last grew them, this pic was taken a few years ago ....

That's lovely - I might have a go with one as well. I already have a Passion Flower, Potato Vine, Honeysuckle and climbing rose but there's always room for one more!
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

28-09-2014, 10:06 AM

Well, after a late start, my vines have excelled themselves, giving a glorious (Morning glory ous) display every day.

Alas, the recent cool weather has finished them.

Does anyone know if it's worthb trying to overwinter the roots, I believe they are actually perennial, like runner beans.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top