Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2016, 09:07 PM

My mum

My fiercely independent (despite her Parkinsons) 83 yr old mum suffered a stroke 3 weeks ago

It was the result of a complication due to a chest infection which was symptomless

She is physically fit now but still in hospital because she isn't speaking or standing yet. Only her right arm seems to be affected otherwise.

We see little improvements...and I've read up on it and it seems the first 3 months are critical for recovery.

I feel helpless. My brothers and families are helping stimulate her too but it's emotionally exhausting.

Does anyone know if there is anything more we can do to help her in this early time. Consultants are non-committal which is understandable
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2016, 09:17 PM

Re: My mum

I can't help the rehabilitating side of your Mum's stroke but after a recent sudden emergency op I was worrying about how my daughter would cope with it all.
I suppose what I'm saying is to make sure your Mum understands that you're coping with her illness so she doesn't have to worry about you worrying... if that makes sense.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2016, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
I can't help the rehabilitating side of your Mum's stroke but after a recent sudden emergency op I was worrying about how my daughter would cope with it all.
I suppose what I'm saying is to make sure your Mum understands that you're coping with her illness so she doesn't have to worry about you worrying... if that makes sense.
Yes I get that cranberry thank you x
We are staying very up-beat and positive and encouraging when we visit. She'll know we are supporting each other too..I know that much
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales

27-11-2016, 09:25 PM

I know I'm not posting as much. ..but coming on here is a lovely escape. I appreciate having this place to come to
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2016, 09:31 PM

Good to read that your mum's independence is serving her well. I'm nearly 70 & have had Parkinsons for 21 years & it's my stubborn streak that keeps me going every day.

It sounds as if you are doing all things positively & practically for your dear mum, I wish her well. (and you)
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2016, 09:32 PM

Hi Rhian. I'm afraid I can't offer much in the way of advice but I wish your Mum well.
I remember when my Granddad had a stroke which was severe, so he never really recovered properly but over time, he and everyone around him adapted and he went on to live another ten years and as far as we could tell was reasonably happy within himself.

I really hope it all works out well for you both X
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2016, 09:32 PM

Really sorry to hear of your mums health troubles Rhian
Im afraid I cant offer any good advice other than to keep supporting each other and be there to help your mum out in any way you can ,im sure she knows how much youre all doing for her
I really hope she continues to improve back to better health too ! Illness is very emotionally draining so dont forget to take care of yourself at the same time ,give yourself treats to look forward to however small they might be ,while youre happy it will reflect onto your mums happiness too
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2016, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
My fiercely independent (despite her Parkinsons) 83 yr old mum suffered a stroke 3 weeks ago

It was the result of a complication due to a chest infection which was symptomless

She is physically fit now but still in hospital because she isn't speaking or standing yet. Only her right arm seems to be affected otherwise.

We see little improvements...and I've read up on it and it seems the first 3 months are critical for recovery.

I feel helpless. My brothers and families are helping stimulate her too but it's emotionally exhausting.

Does anyone know if there is anything more we can do to help her in this early time. Consultants are non-committal which is understandable
Hi Rhian sorry to hear about your Mum, as her right arm is affected indicating an episode on the left side of the brain her speech may well be too (aphasia) .
She is going to be very confused and scared, talk to her and reassure her all you can, tell her she is safe and not to be afraid . Talk about family events that she has enjoyed to stimulate her thoughts. Music is good, can you play some she likes using headphones.

No one can know for sure how much recovery there will be and I don't want to get your hopes up in my experience of stroke patients those with problems affecting the right side often seem to do better that when it affects the left.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales

27-11-2016, 09:35 PM

Thank you Robert jnr and Longdongs
I'm encouraged by your lovely comments xx
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2016, 09:35 PM

Oh dear Rhian, I am so very sorry about your Mum.
She sounds a strong lady though, her will power will help her through.
You must look after yourself and stay strong too, she will need you.
Good luck and God bless you both. X

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top