Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 02:29 PM

Re: Keeping harnesses on all day

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I use a harness because it's recommended for my dog as the breed has delicate necks. A collar could choke him. But the harness is only on for walks and he doesn't even have a collar on inside. If you only use the harness for walks then it's easy to get it on and off as the dog wants to get it on fast and he gets a treat after being good when I take it off.

Julie is there a brand you'd recommend? You mentioned padding.
I use urban pup vest type for Betty and Jenny, Elsie has a harder wearing comfy pet one I got from fetch.

The vest ones are great for delicate necks all the weight goes into the chest area no the neck.

I always have to sew a bit on the front of Betty's no matter what style I buy as she manages to lift her feet up into the front of them, she's done it in a collar before too ! So I have to make the leg holes just fit.
BoxerBoy
West Sussex UK
BoxerBoy is male  BoxerBoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I use a harness because it's recommended for my dog as the breed has delicate necks. A collar could choke him.
Annie I don't understand how a properly fitted collar could choke your dog. It just sits comfortably on his neck, doesn't it ?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by BoxerBoy ->
Annie I don't understand how a properly fitted collar could choke your dog. It just sits comfortably on his neck, doesn't it ?
Have you ever had a dog with a delicate neck ? I'd not want to chance Betty on one, 5lb in weight tiny delicate limbs and long delicate neck. Deer head chihuahua.

I don't know anyone walks a deer head on a collar, just the idea makes me scared for them.
BoxerBoy
West Sussex UK
BoxerBoy is male  BoxerBoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Have you ever had a dog with a delicate neck ? I'd not want to chance Betty on one, 5lb in weight tiny delicate limbs and long delicate neck. Deer head chihuahua.

No Julie I have never had such a dog, that is why I asked my question.

To be honest I would never want a dog that was so fragile, it makes me quite sad to think about it.
SallyS
South East, UK
SallyS is female  SallyS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 07:03 PM

To be honest I would never want a dog that was so fragile, it makes me quite sad to think about it.
Sad?

Why on earth sad?

Each to their own, I’d never have a big bullish dog but as I said, each to their own.

As is a dog owners choice to use a collar or harness, shirt or extendable lead.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

24-02-2018, 07:08 PM

She's one of the happiest healthiest dogs we've ever owned, vet uses her as an example for other small dog owners because she's so well proportioned with just the right amount of flesh on her bones.

She is a terrible bully poor Elsie lab has to do as she's told or Betty wants to know about it.

Such a funny little character.

I always think they need special homes where they are appreciated for their specialness.

Iron stomach my husband calls her as she'll try any food offered to her no fussiness at all.

Elsie Labrador now she's had all sorts of health problems brain tumour, gluten allergy, will eat anything but so many things upset her tummy. If you need an example of an unhealthy dog she would feature.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top