Join for free
Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2016, 03:46 PM

Re: Genealogy

I have the family tree of my ancestors on my father's side going back to 1760. My late aunt and uncle started their investigations many years ago and were hooked by it, thank goodness as I don't think I would have had the patience to do it myself.

I was amazed at how many of the children died quite young.
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2016, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Wow! That certainly is impressive. Has he managed to find provenances for all of them? Records were not so clear or so well cared for back then. Anyone exciting turned up?
He uses a site called MyHeritage.com which seems to do most of the spadework, and comes back with something like "we have found X who is linked to your ancestor Y because...."

No-one exciting yet, though the latest (furthest back) lived/was born in America. Right era for the Pilgrim Fathers and all that. Especially interesting as the whole family are Cornish.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2016, 12:13 PM

I traced my mother's side back to the 1700's.
Nothing much of interest until I found one relative was a Bow Street runner and one of the first to be sacked for being drunk on duty.

Setting the standards by which The Met would adhere to?
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2016, 12:25 PM

Started researching my lot in 2006 ish, when I was first allowed to use the Mac, but was immediately stuck in 1830 with my Scottish gt gt gran who refused to have parents and siblings.

Spent several months exchanging info with a newly found 3rd cousin in NZ but, alas, our gt gt gran would just not cooperate.

I always favoured 'Ancestry' ... tried FMP and now have access via a friend's password ! (shhhh lol).

Not looked at my tree for a few years but was definitely addicted before and that's what led me into photo restoration.

Any of you with Welsh rellies have my sympathy
What a nightmare it was trying to unravel MIL's family ... but thankfully, they originally hailed from Somerset ... phew !
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2016, 06:30 PM

I started mine a few years ago but have sort of forgotten it. I do know that I have recommended members here asking their local libraries if they have access to Ancestry on their computers. That's what I use now.

I stayed with my mother's side as her ancestors eluded me, but I did find one sad entry, that at one time her father was in a workhouse.

Really need to get back into it...maybe during the cold winter months when not much is done on the allotments?

Also, I'd made contact with a possible distant relative to share stories on one name shared in our past. Need to write to her again.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2016, 12:55 PM

So glad I found this thread. I have too much to tell. I will be back. Just need to pop over to Ancestry.
Sweetie x
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2016, 04:39 PM

Look forward to reading about your 'tree', Sweetie Pie. I find genealogy fascinating.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2016, 06:15 PM

Oh my the trees are so big! OK I am a descendant of the Huguenots - Robert Hurlin Birth
1700 • Picardy, France. So I am half French in my roots and half Irish. Strangely now, I have a French christian name and an Irish surname by marriage. I will come back with more, but that is my starter.
Sweetie x
rcs60h
Bedfordshire, UK
rcs60h is male  rcs60h has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2016, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
Started researching my lot in 2006 ish, when I was first allowed to use the Mac, but was immediately stuck in 1830 with my Scottish gt gt gran who refused to have parents and siblings.

Spent several months exchanging info with a newly found 3rd cousin in NZ but, alas, our gt gt gran would just not cooperate.

I always favoured 'Ancestry' ... tried FMP and now have access via a friend's password ! (shhhh lol).

Not looked at my tree for a few years but was definitely addicted before and that's what led me into photo restoration.

Any of you with Welsh rellies have my sympathy
What a nightmare it was trying to unravel MIL's family ... but thankfully, they originally hailed from Somerset ... phew !

For tracing Scottish Relatives you may have a little bit of luck with Family Search.org which is run by the Mormon Church and is totally free to use, however the best site for tracing Scottish Relatives is Scotland's People which is a pay as you go site. You can retrieve huge amounts of information from here but it can become expensive.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2016, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by rcs60h ->
For tracing Scottish Relatives you may have a little bit of luck with Family Search.org which is run by the Mormon Church and is totally free to use, however the best site for tracing Scottish Relatives is Scotland's People which is a pay as you go site. You can retrieve huge amounts of information from here but it can become expensive.
Used them many times and also contacted the NAS re gt gt gran.

I know they married at Wishaw House and I have the date. Sadly, no record of the marriage survived.

Stalemate

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top