Join for free
Page 9 of 16 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2017, 09:08 PM

Re: The Irish Border Problem

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
We have a moat Ted and it seems to make no difference. Perhaps we should have a referendum about NI leaving the UK?

NI will not vote to leave the UK

The reason we have those backward thinking DUP calling the tune is because those who want to stay part of the UK have no option but to vote for them.

Any other vote will allow SF the majority vote and they will push for reunification under the tri-colour which the people of NI will not countenance
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2017, 09:12 PM

No I meant we (the UK) have a referendum on whether they stay in the Union. I honestly cannot believe that Cameron did not think this may be an issue when he held the brexit one.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2017, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
How many more times must I say it??? - there is one very simple solution to the Northern Ireland problem - RE-UNIFICATION!!!
And 1 million Unionists go to to war with Eire.....What a brilliant solution!!
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2017, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
NI will not vote to leave the UK

The reason we have those backward thinking DUP calling the tune is because those who want to stay part of the UK have no option but to vote for them.

Any other vote will allow SF the majority vote and they will push for reunification under the tri-colour which the people of NI will not countenance
If a minority Eire Govt can have a veto I would like someone to tell me why Northern Ireland shouldn't have one .
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2017, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
If a minority Eire Govt can have a veto I would like someone to tell me why Northern Ireland shouldn't have one .

Because we don't have a government right now???

And we are part of the U.K.

No way will the DUP not follow Westminster. They will hold out to get every penny they can, but they will not sever ties with the U.K.
Colonelgrim
England
Colonelgrim is male 

07-12-2017, 01:48 PM

Please forgive my ignorance if this observation has been muted earlier on this thread.
My question, why doesn’t our European friends demand that Southern Ireland put up a ‘Hard’ boarder between the north and south?
That way Europe could stop the UK from pushing goods into Europe through the back door, and any terrorist activity by the IRA would have to be targeted toward its own government, i.e. Southern Ireland!
Job done.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2017, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Presumably there are borders at the Easterly End of Europe?

If so, that's what we need to have as well!

If it turns out that a Hard Border is needed, with Southern Ireland, let's get on with it.
OK. A letter writer in The Daily Mail, today, tells us that there are 40 non-EU Countries with borders onto the EU.

I'd like some education as to how that works and whether there is anything which could be learned, by the UK, in that context.

It's odd that this has not been looked at before....or, maybe, I missed it.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/map-re...igrants-2016-2
Mountaintop
Ireland, Meath
Mountaintop is male  Mountaintop has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2017, 04:20 PM

The anti-Irish tone of this whole tread is sad, depressing, and reflects a basic level of ignorance of the issues on hand. The summing up of complex problems in ill-ground soundbites is very worrisome. I live in Southern Ireland. My brothers imports engineering products from the UK and has done so for twenty years. I have family in the UK. And then I read a tread from Colonelgrim about terrorist activity targeting my government and some nonsense about a Hard Border and I shake my head and ask myself what's that all about? I mean, have any of these people even visited the Irish Republic. Ignorant and nonsensical.
Colonelgrim
England
Colonelgrim is male 

07-12-2017, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mountaintop ->
The anti-Irish tone of this whole tread is sad, depressing, and reflects a basic level of ignorance of the issues on hand. The summing up of complex problems in ill-ground soundbites is very worrisome. I live in Southern Ireland. My brothers imports engineering products from the UK and has done so for twenty years. I have family in the UK. And then I read a tread from Colonelgrim about terrorist activity targeting my government and some nonsense about a Hard Border and I shake my head and ask myself what's that all about? I mean, have any of these people even visited the Irish Republic. Ignorant and nonsensical.
Think about it for one moment, who are the people that would kick up all the fuss about having a hard boarder in northern Ireland(?), correct, the IRA, there still there you know!

All I'm suggesting is lets have a hard boarder, but lets let Southern Ireland impose it, result, in a peaceful northern Ireland, and a workable hard boarder, and if the catholics in northern ireland didn't like it they could cause trouble in their own religious region, sorted.

I'm reading from your post that you dont seem to want a hard boarder then!!!! I wonder why not!

Perhaps southern Ireland should consider leaving the EU, unless of course you have become too reliant upon EU handouts sponsored by we party!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2017, 05:42 PM

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/1...like-a-fiddle/

Page 9 of 16 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top