Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2015, 01:34 PM

Re: A whistling radiator

Thanks George. Will do.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2016, 06:41 PM

Although most Thermostatic Radiator Valves ( TRV's ) can be installed on the flow or return, I still prefer to have them on the flow. Just try adjusting the valve setting to see if that makes any difference.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2016, 06:50 PM

Useful info from Motley Fool site:

"A problem with TRVs is that despite public perception they are a very clumsy way of regulating temperature. The boiler has to remain on all the time because the TRV works by reducing the flow through the radiator to approaching zero as the room temp approaches it's target.

This is an abuse of the pump as most of the flow it is trying to deliver is virtually closed off. So the pressure rises forcing the water through the valves, making them close down a little further. Whistling or rushing noise sometimes results.

If setting the pump to minimum speed (and therefore minimum output pressure) does not work, then often it will be found that there is no 'bypass' circuit available to take surplus pump flow as TRVs close down. One radiator should not have a TRV so it can act as a bypass. Alternatively spring-loaded bypass valves are now available which let no water flow until pressure rises to a pre-set value, then they open. One of these will probably resolve the whistling problem.

Fitting a smaller radiator will probably also help, as a higher water flow rate will then be required to maintain room temperature. This could just transfer the prob to another room though!"
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2016, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by gasman ->
Although most Thermostatic Radiator Valves ( TRV's ) can be installed on the flow or return, I still prefer to have them on the flow. Just try adjusting the valve setting to see if that makes any difference.

Thanks Gasman. The problem occurred a few weeks back now, but you were right, I just moved the valve a fraction and it stopped immediately.
Thanks anyway.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2016, 11:27 PM

No problem. A couple of more tips. If you have TRV's, keep all doors closed where these are installed. This will heat the room sooner and shut the boiler down sooner - therefore saving money.
If you have a hot water cylinder, insulate all pipes in the airing cupboard. This retains the heat in the pipework and sent back to the boiler at a slightly higher temperature, shutting the boiler down sooner - therefore saving you money again.
Last - where ever you have a fossil burning fueled appliance ie. gas, wood, coal, coke, it is recommended that you have a Carbon Monoxide detector ( cod ) Let's save lives and have your appliances serviced every year!!!!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

11-01-2016, 12:07 AM

Thanks again - and don't worry, I do have the annual service.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2016, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Thanks again - and don't worry, I do have the annual service.
Ooer missus
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

11-01-2016, 12:41 AM

Well I'm on me own Purwell, and I'd sooner be safe than sorry.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top