Join for free
Page 478 of 1676 « First < 378 428 468 476 477 478 479 480 488 528 578 978 1478 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 08:07 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Gummy, I didn't want to disillusion Sweetie, but, us geezers know, there are only Three Steps to Heaven.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
She were a Moonraker from my home town.
That there moon has a lot to answer for

Between the fifteenth and eighteenth centuries the wool produced from the English County of Wiltshire was known and prized all over Europe because of its superb quality.

Dutch and Flemish merchants had permanent headquarters in the Wiltshire town of Swindon, attracted there by the high profit obtained from the wool trade.

But there was a problem!

The merchant’s favourite tipple was Hollands Gin, but that carried a heavy import duty.

The solution for the Wiltshiremen seemed obvious, they would have to smuggle in the barrels of spirit and so avoid the import duty.

By the mid-sixteenth century they had established a smuggling operation that would run for more than 200 years. The barrels of spirit were landed in quiet coves on the Hampshire coast and brought up to Swindon by night.

The barrels were hidden during the day in church crypts or in village ponds. The green weed in the ponds concealed the barrels beautifully.

Problem solved!!

But one night it all went wrong.

The story is, that in either Bishop Cannings, or All Cannings (two villages reputed to be heavily involved in smuggling), the villagers were raking their kegs out of the village pond when they were surprised by a patrol of Excise men.

The Wiltshire smugglers, with a flash of inspiration, pretended to be idiots, gibbering and grimacing at the Excise men.

They pointed to the moon’s reflection in the pond and told the officials that they were trying to rake out a piece of the moon that had fallen from the sky.

They were so persuasive and acted their parts as ‘mental defectives’ so well that the Excise men just laughed at this example of rustic simplicity and rode on.

Success!!

But Wiltshiremen are called ‘Moonrakers’ to this day!

(credit to Ellen Castelow fur this ere titbit)
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Gummy, I didn't want to disillusion Sweetie, but, us geezers know, there are only Three Steps to Heaven.
but doesn't that make us off-balance??
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
but doesn't that make us off-balance??
I am a Libra, does that help?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 01:14 PM

You learn something new every day, now I know what a moonraker is.

My remote claim to fame is that my Aunt Betty went to school with Robert Mitchum in the US, she never stopped talking about ‘Bob’ when she visited us in 1956, in her own words he was a “Dreamboat”
Any of you old geezers been a 'Dreamboat' in your younger days before yis became sunken wreaks?

One of my old drinking pals (now dead) was a great fan of Lee Marvin, he was working in the Gresham hotel here in Dublin back in the 60’s and Marvin was staying there while working on a film, the director forbid Marvin any booze because there was a very important scene coming up the following day and Marvin was confined to his hotel room, Dinny, my mate the hotel porter was passing the room when he heard Marvin tapping at the locked door, he asked him what he wanted and Marvin said a bottle of Scotch, off went Dinny and came back with a bottle of Bells and a straw, Marvin syphoned the whiskey through the keyhole into a jug inside his room, when he had it all he rolled up a $100 dollar bill and put it out through the keyhole to Dinny who was over the moon as you'd expect.
Before Marvin returned to the US he had a boozing session with Dinny and other staff members in the Brazen Head, the oldest pub in Dublin. I believe it was a night to remember. That’s God truth according to Dinny, and he told the story exactly the same way scores of times so I’d say it’s true.
All the big stars used to stay at the Gresham back then, now it’s used for temporally housing homeless families, amazing how times change.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 09:06 PM

Pug after reading your post you sound really upset, as Gumbud says what can he say, what can anyone say, I’m so sorry for your grief and hope you manage to cope with it as best you can, we’re all your friends on here and understand.

My missus never called me a ‘Dreamboat’ but she came close to it when I had an argument with her favourite brother, she called me ‘A dozy old tug’
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 10:26 PM

No, no Dreamboat, more of an Argy-Bargy.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

07-02-2018, 11:53 PM

Ferry good Spitty.

In the times when James Joyce lived here and got his material for “Portrait of the artist as a young Man” (published in 1916) Dublin had many brothels, especially in the inner city in an area known as “Monto”, Montgomery Street and surrounding Streets, all those old buildings are demolished now.
Joyce was a regular visitor to Monto, (as were a lot of high ranking government officials from Dublin Castle) he was a real Jack the lad when he was young. He was born catholic but later shunned all religion, his Mother, a deeply religious woman, was always pleading with him to confess his sins and return to the church, but it was all in vain.

I was imagining Joyce in a confession box as a young man when this went through my mind.

Bless me dear Father for I have sinned
The bed was big and the lights were dimmed
She beckoned me forward by wagging her finger
I was never very fussy, so I didn’t linger

It wasn’t long before the whole thing was over
So I hopped out of bed and put on me pullover
“It’s cold out there missus, and there’s a heavy dew
I’ll be off now, how much do I owe you?”

“Ten bob, you can leave it under the tea cosy,
By the way, the lads round here all call me Rosie”
Half a weeks wages, all gone in a flash
And now it hurts every time I have a slash.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 01:32 AM

I suppose the "french letters" were knitted in course Welsh wool in those days and too uncomfortable to use as protection?

french letters through the ages?

me granpa left me his "french letters"
told me to hold and use them well
he said he'd always washed them
in spring water from the well?

I used to like the silk ones
that just slid right through me hands
when I was practicing some special moves
I used elastic bands!!

me uncle left me his as well
said he'd only used them once
they were made of satin
said he'd got them off a ponce??

Me Da said son I found these rubber things
what are they doin in your drawer
I replied well I've filled the bathroom cupboard
and there is no room for more??

they're now a family heirloom
and I've passed them to me son
use them well I cautioned him
bum bum bum bum bum bum!!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

08-02-2018, 07:56 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpu8k8ht_jw

Page 478 of 1676 « First < 378 428 468 476 477 478 479 480 488 528 578 978 1478 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top