Join for free
Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2010, 07:17 PM

Re: For Followers of the World Cup......

Prince William, David Cameron and David Beckham did us proud with their speeches yesterday and I was gutted when England lost out on their bid to host the 2018 World Cup to Russia.

What on earth made the BBC show that Panorama programme just a few days before the World Cup decision was made. Surely they must have known that media coverage would damage our attempts to win.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2010, 08:13 PM

Hey, come on guys. You don`t seriously think the decision wasn`t made weeks ago?
Apparently (other) nations have been lobbying for 2 years.
I mean - just think what Qatar has to offer.....
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2010, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
Hey, come on guys. You don`t seriously think the decision wasn`t made weeks ago?
I agree with you there, Claire, it seems our three representatives were on a wasted journey from the start.

What has Qatar got to offer? ......... Sun, sun, sun and no snow!!!
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2010, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I agree with you there, Claire, it seems our three representatives were on a wasted journey from the start.

What has Qatar got to offer? ......... Sun, sun, sun and no snow!!!
50 degrees apparently when they start playing! Although I was disappointed, did think that we didn't stand a chance. Like Claire, also thought decision would have been made ages ago.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2010, 01:41 AM

I can just imagine playing football in 50 degrees. We, Australia or America never stood a chance, it was all just a scam and FIFA should be ashamed but then so should the BBC
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2010, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
Oil!! Money for the back pocket!!

Dont blame the BBC or the Times.

The decision was made years ago not to let England host any more world cup games when we hit the world headlines as holigans of football.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2010, 12:19 PM

I think the journalists miscalculated. They probably felt that FIFA would be shamed into being cleaner than clean after the corruption allegations. Unfortunately they seriously underestimated both the depth of corruption and the sheer arrogance of Blatter and his FIFA underlings who feel they are untouchable. A World Cup in the 45 degree temperatures of Qatar will be fun! ....and will the Russian Mafia be given the distribution rights for tickets in 2018? - wouldn't surprise me!
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2010, 12:53 PM

Every week in this country families go quite safely to football matches where they will find very little hooliganism whereas in the rest of Europe such as Italy and Holland people die at football matches every week. England may be loud and passionate but they are real fans of football.

Russia is a Mafia kleptomanic run country with a deep set corruption I for one would never want to go there for the World Cup. Qatar is full of sleaze and money and the temptation was too great. Imagine fans going all that way to see their team melt in the heat absolute nonsence.

If only the BBC had waited until after the vote people would have seen that the whole thing was just a scam. I can now only hope the government or the FA won't let it rest as we so often do.

Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top