Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2017, 10:52 PM

What were your staple meals as you were growing up?

What were your staples?

Up to say 10 years of age, and then up to say 20. Which meals did you enjoy and which not so much?

(And if you got the time... what are your staple meals now?)
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 12:48 AM

Re: What were your staple meals as you were growing up?

Azz, Up to the age of ten, we were fed on Mutton stew, bacon and cabbage, beef on Sunday with no gravy, just the sediment and fat poured over our vegetables!
Occasionally we had rabbit! Chicken, usually at Christmas! I would use a knitting needle to eat the marrow out of bones! Yuk!
We had egg on bread for breakfast most mornings! The thing was, l don't ever remember us being ill and we rarely had colds!
Up to the age of twenty, as l still lived at home, this diet continued but we would have lamb chops and vegetables, maybe Shepherd's/Cottage pie. Black pudding fried with tomatoes. Lots of cheese and soda bread that my mother made.

These days, l cook everything from scratch, l never eat ready made meals.
I make Lasagne, Spaghetti Bolognese. I like cod, haddock and mackerel. Tinned salmon. Roast dinners. Steak, with a few chips, peas, mushrooms and homemade onion rings
Jacket potatoes with various fillings. Salads/fruit. Occasionally, curry and Naan bread l make in my bread maker. Eggs from my hens.
Porridge, made with water, no sugar or milk!

Foods, l have never liked are mainly offal, kidneys, brains, Tripe, duck, yogurt, Tuna, duck and goose eggs.

I firmly believe, you are, what you eat!
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 12:51 AM

What's wrong with tuna and yogurt?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
What's wrong with tuna and yogurt?
Nothing! I know most people love them but yogurt to me tastes like sour milk!
Tuna? Maybe it's the colour and texture?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 01:06 AM

Gruel, Cabbage Soup, Bread and Dripping .....
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 01:14 AM

My mum knew how to make a Sunday last. ..
Sunday roast, rice pudding or cake
Monday cold meat with bubble n squeak, cake or rice pudding with tinned fruit
Tuesday scouse (stewing steak), cake (dry)
Wednesday homemade salmon fishcakes, hot trifle (drier cake ,sliced bananas and custard)
Thursday liver and ponch meip? (turnip/swede with potato mash?) Tinned fruit and evaporated milk
We so hated liver I honestly don't know why they stuck with it..as we got older we got pork steaks (yay!)
Friday fish n chips always homemade, some chocolate later watching TV
Saturday especially as we got older was experimental day curry, pasta, fry up, Chinese, steaks, eggs/omelettes and Dad would join in which was great..dessert was a biscuit and/or fruit, again in front of tv!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 06:43 AM

A lot of jam sandwiches
Boiled eggs with toast
Baked potatoes with cheese
Always a roast on Sunday that was turned into a pie Monday, mince Tuesday. Mince was stretched out by liberal addition of soya protein. 4 adults 3 children portions were small but no one starved.

I remember vicar popped in unexpectedly and commented nan didn't have enough on her plate to keep a bird alive.

All meals were accompanied by a huge suet dumpling. Anyone still hungry had a lump of that with a diluted stock cube poured over it.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 06:56 AM

Lots of green stuff,,, cabbage , sprouts, broccoli if it was green we ate it and lots of spuds, mashed, boiled, baked, roasted, but hardley ever chips..

A pudding on Sunday, eten while we listened to the BBC charts on radio one , Mum loved pop music as much as I did..

Hungry between meals bread and jam..
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 07:48 AM

We had Mutton or Rabbit Stew, Steak & Kidney Pudding, Egg & Chips and always a Roast on Sunday mainly Beef, huge Pork Chop with a big kidney.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2017, 07:48 AM

Depends, if we were at my mums it was always cheap cuts served at the table sat up with backs straight or you got in trouble. If we were at my grannies it was heaven, maybe I'm looking back through rose tinted glasses but blimey she could really cook. Roasts, pies stews and the best Yorkshire puds in the whole of Yorkshire

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top