Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2018, 12:08 PM

Re: The Beatles

I think the Beatles were a force of nature, an unstoppable phenomena, born to release younger generations from the austerity of the 1940s and 1950s.

The hope for a better world was their banner. Their timely incarnation unleashed a cornucopia of music and art and expression and culture change,even if they weren't aware of their latent power way back in 1962 .

When David Bailey published his cult collection of 1960's icons in 1969 under the title GOODBYE BABY AND AMEN- A saraband for the 60s the fab four were at the centre.
The 60s were a watershed for all that was new and exciting, and unlike those posers who say
"if you can remember the 60s , you weren't there"

I was!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2018, 12:31 PM

It's a good question Floydy and one that I have thought about often. I suppose, personally, I will never know the answer because I wasn't part of it, I was a bit too young to understand what was going on.

So looking at it as a bit of an outsider, I love some of their music but I do think there have been better bands before and since. Whether they had the same impact as the Beatles or not, probably not.

I think they were good song writers, particularly Lennon but their music was quite amateurish in my opinion but it was this amateur sound that caught the attention of the public. If you compare the song writing to say ABBA (love them or hate them) it doesn't even come close.

They came along at just the right time along with fashion and trendy. haircuts and they have inspired a lot of new bands ever since.

To sum up, I think they deserve what they achieved but I don't think they were the greatest.
Bobby Àmericano
AMERICA
Bobby Àmericano is male  Bobby Àmericano has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2018, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Yeah yeah yeah !
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2018, 04:15 PM

Loving your replies folks

Longdogs - I'd agree with you about the songwriting, inparticular the lyrics of The Beatles but I do feel that they got better at it as their career progressed.
I mean, 'Love Me Do' is pretty trite but does its job as a simple love song, though fast forward just a few years and to songs like 'The Fool On The Hill', 'She's Leaving Home' or the incredible 'A Day In The Life' and we see masterful songs being turned out.

I think we can leave the nursery rhyme qualities of 'Yellow Submarine' in Room 101 though!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2018, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Loving your replies folks

Longdogs - I'd agree with you about the songwriting, inparticular the lyrics of The Beatles but I do feel that they got better at it as their career progressed.
I mean, 'Love Me Do' is pretty trite but does its job as a simple love song, though fast forward just a few years and to songs like 'The Fool On The Hill', 'She's Leaving Home' or the incredible 'A Day In The Life' and we see masterful songs being turned out.

I think we can leave the nursery rhyme qualities of 'Yellow Submarine' in Room 101 though!
Sorry to keep agreeing with you but 'She's leaving home' is probably my all time favourite Beatles song.
Cosmos
UK
Cosmos is female  Cosmos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2018, 04:33 PM

yep,..... theres no comparison really .....
Bobby Àmericano
AMERICA
Bobby Àmericano is male  Bobby Àmericano has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2018, 04:35 PM

Being a bassist, I dig Rain!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2018, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Bobby Àmericano ->
Being a bassist, I dig Rain!
Rain is brilliant! Not just the bass but Ringo's drum pattern is awesome.
And listen at Lennon's singing. Everything Oasis ever did is wrapped up in this three minute track.
Bobby Àmericano
AMERICA

09-02-2018, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Rain is brilliant! Not just the bass but Ringo's drum pattern is awesome.
And listen at Lennon's singing. Everything Oasis ever did is wrapped up in this three minute track.
Yes, agreed! Very uncharacteristically Ringo!

The Leslie effect, too.
Bobby Àmericano
AMERICA

09-02-2018, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Sorry to keep agreeing with you but 'She's leaving home' is probably my all time favourite Beatles song.
Among my other faves: Let it be, Long And Winding Road, Julia, Fool On The Hill, Baby You're a Rich man, Your Mother Should Know, She's Leaving Home, Penny Lane,...where do I stop??!

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top