Join for free
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2014, 11:08 PM

OblyTile

OblyTile is a program that can be used to customise the Window 8 Start Screen tiles. There are options within OblyTile for changing the colours of tiles and text. External images (suitably resized) can also be used. Using images can mean making them fit the tiles for which an image editing program would be required.

Not everyone's cup of tea but it might be of interest to see what can be done with the Windows 8 Start Screen tiles...

The whole screen:

A closer view of some of the tiles:

OblyTile link (developer's site):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1899865
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2014, 01:37 AM

Re: OblyTile

I just stuck my tiles in the bin all the items I need are available somewhere on the computer without all that silly nonsense .
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2014, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
...all the items I need are available somewhere on the computer...
Same here Meg but the tiles are no more than alternative shortcuts. They work the same as shortcuts on the traditional Desktop.

Although the tiles shown above were interesting to make, I don't always have them this way. It is just a demo of something that can be done. Microsoft operating systems have always been customisable and this just shows another way applicable to Windows 8.

I prefer to use organised and categorised tiles as shortcuts for opening programs no matter what their appearance. I get on far better with this now than using the menus of previous operating systems.

For access to the working parts of the system, the 'Quick Access' menu is used (right-click on the Windows icon in bottom-left corner).
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2014, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Same here Meg but the tiles are no more than alternative shortcuts. They work the same as shortcuts on the traditional Desktop.

Although the tiles shown above were interesting to make, I don't always have them this way. It is just a demo of something that can be done. Microsoft operating systems have always been customisable and this just shows another way applicable to Windows 8.

I prefer to use organised and categorised tiles as shortcuts for opening programs no matter what their appearance. I get on far better with this now than using the menus of previous operating systems.

For access to the working parts of the system, the 'Quick Access' menu is used (right-click on the Windows icon in bottom-left corner).
Exactly Mart I don't need things duplicated it makes them unnecessarily complicated.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

29-10-2014, 10:23 AM

Ah Well ..we all have our preferences. The unnecessary complication for me is having the Desktop of the previous operating systems.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top