Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2014, 09:40 PM

Artificial brain!

I always read Focus magazine in the dentist's waiting room, yesterday I read that scientists have made a brain so they can replicate injuries etc. to understand them better! Amazing! Also transparent solar panels!
There are some very clever folk out there!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2014, 11:11 PM

Re: Artificial brain!

How odd an artificial brain....
I can think of a few real ones which aren't used very much that they could borrow
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2014, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
I always read Focus magazine in the dentist's waiting room, yesterday I read that scientists have made a brain so they can replicate injuries etc. to understand them better! Amazing! Also transparent solar panels!
There are some very clever folk out there!
I can replicate a broken leg with a baseball bat
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2014, 09:08 AM

Neuroplasticity is a field yet to be fully understood-but in the mean time;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPvRsLWlDXw
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2014, 02:32 PM

"There are some very clever folk out there!"
There are indeed Twiz.
Although I have to say artificial brains have been around for some time now, my humble self being the proud possessor of one, it’s what makes me thick, I had the operation five years ago when the old one seized up from lack of use.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2014, 10:32 PM

I'm sure the scientists will be able to give you a new one Jem! You could have mine but it's going a bit wonky!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

25-10-2014, 11:00 PM

http://i100.independent.co.uk/articl...ls--g1THFc8oLe This is amazing!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2014, 09:25 PM

I always love to hear new breakthroughs in the fight against the cancers Twiz, they have a long to to go on this but it's great that they are on their way to maybe an answer.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

16-11-2014, 07:04 PM

I have given a lot of thought to the brain since you started this thread Twiz, in fact I have become dizzy from overthinking on several occasions, the wife had to revive me with sips of brandy. This is the problem I was trying to sort out.
Do you tell your brain what to do or does the brain tell you? Is the brain you? Are you the brain? Does the brain tell itself what to do?
I think you tell it what to do, take this scenario, I am in need of a brain operation so I tell the brain that a surgeon is going to open it up and fiddle around with it and there is nothing it can do to stop it, this op will save my life and that’s the end of it. The brain didn’t tell me it needed the operation, it didn’t even know it needed it until I collapsed on the street and was taken to hospital, the doctors told me I needed the op and I told the brain, and if it can’t look out for itself how can I trust it to look out for me?
Another example is if you sit and meditate, let your mind go blank, suddenly a single thought comes into your head, say you think about a friend you haven’t seen in years, did the brain tell you to think of this?, no it came to you out of the blue, then you use the brain and scan the memory bank for a vision and some data on that friend and you remember much more as the brain gives you more info, it’s just a tool for you to use and you are it’s master, you are together in the same body but you are separate in some way that hasn’t been explained yet, I know where my brain will go when I’m dead but I don’t know where I’ll go, so that puts me one up on the brain, but does the brain know where I’ll go and won’t tell me for spite?
Looking at my one and a half year old grandson almost every day I see him picking up new words all the time, from his grandma, me, and the TV, then telling the brain to remember them for the next time he wants to use them, he thinks nothing of if it, just flicks them into the brain, Fox, Dog, Cat, Cow, Tree, bus, and so on, to my mind that makes him cleverer than his brain, because the brain didn’t know these words until he put them there. Ever see somebody who’s annoyed trying to think of something and they give the head a tap to tell the brain to hurry up and produce the goods?
Make it work for you, tell it you want a cup of tea in a hurry, it will send the messages for you to get up off your arse and put the kettle on, it’s a marvellous little machine all the same, but not as good as you, and when it gives you silly idea’s as happens to me all the time, don’t be like me, let it know who’s master and don’t pay any attention to it, it’s always getting me into hassle.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2014, 07:46 PM

Did that get it all off your chest Jem?

Don't wear your brain out thinking too much - you've got the missus Christmas present to think of yet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top