Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2014, 06:22 PM

This feels criminal but...

...in clearing out yet more of my garden I am having to discard 100s (or even more) of crocosmia bulbs. They grow like weeds here, lots in the hedgerows etc. and one garden bed is absolutely infested with them.
It's such a waste.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2014, 06:29 PM

Re: This feels criminal but...

Orang. Please don't feel like a criminal! You've got to get rid and cut back. People are clearing out their gardens all the time. Good thing nowadays are the brown bins for such things. So, you're not just chucking it away. Nothing worse than your garden taking over. It's supposed to be a pleasure at the end of the day. Don't beat yourself up about it.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2014, 06:30 PM

If only we had such bins, but here in Ireland you have to pay to get rid of stuff or burn it (ahem, possibly illegally...)
But thanks for the encouragement I just have an almost pathological hatred of any sort of waste, including this!
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2014, 06:50 PM

Sorry, Orang, I didn't realise that was the case in Ireland. Seems a shame as the brown bins are even great for grass cuttings, and they were included in the price of your council tax. I know how bad you feel, but honestly, what else can you do? It has to be about how you can manage the garden too. If you feel overwhelmed with it then it's not fair on you. You just have to thin some plants, etc. down at times. Don't feel bad.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-10-2014, 07:36 PM

Have you got freecycle - people love free plants and bulbs we found.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2014, 08:43 AM

It's hard isn't it?
I have a hard time just thinning out the veggies when they're growing!
I know it has to be done, but it's a living thing, gosh dang it all!
Maybe you could put notice up in your area with the bulbs saying 'free to good home!" or the like!
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2014, 09:18 PM

Oh I love Crocosmia, I bought some recently for my front garden. What a shame to have to throw them away. We used to have a 'green' bin for garden waste but the local council want to charge now so no-one bothers.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2014, 11:49 PM

You have to be ruthless Ania or things take over
I am knee deep in 'Bears breeches ' (Acanthus) which is doing its best to swamp the garden ..
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

28-10-2014, 03:18 PM

Well at least I now have a friend who will take some of them. Even though she doesn't want hundreds...
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2014, 01:55 PM

Up here lots of people over the years have taken some of their extra bulbs along to the big forest at Dunnet and planted them on some spot or other. Now in the Spring the forest is a blaze of colour....really cheers you up to see it. The Bulbs are not wasted and they can spread as much as they like..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top