Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2014, 05:35 PM

Re: Muslims fighting back, 'Not in my name'

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Originally Posted by Patsy View Post
Exactly what they should do .....

Yes, and more often
Dunno about the UK but here in Aus I know for a fact that moderate Muslims very, very frequently DO come out and condemn terrorism and other anti-social acts by radicals.

UNFORTUNATELY ... only a few of their statements are reported.

Not sure why - but journalists and/or media managers seem reluctant to provide coverage when moderates speak out loud and long against the 'nasties'.
So the public assumes it is not happening.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2014, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
Dunno about the UK but here in Aus I know for a fact that moderate Muslims very, very frequently DO come out and condemn terrorism and other anti-social acts by radicals.

Not sure why - but journalists and/or media managers seem reluctant to provide coverage when moderates speak out loud and long against the 'nasties'.
Well I've heard it all now - although probably not
That's a fine way to carry on, not reporting such a move by the Muslims, that's what we need to hear. The press have a lot to answer for - Ejits !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2014, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->

Yes happens here too - a lot ! They actually seek out Mr Chowdry and his friends and ignore the people condemning the violence.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2014, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Yes happens here too - a lot ! They actually seek out Mr Chowdry and his friends and ignore the people condemning the violence.
...that is so Julie and you only have to look at the number of anti muslim threads started on this forum to see that kind of thing in action some with very old videos dragged up from who knows where..
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2014, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Think at least for the last year the Main stream media have been ignoring Chowdry
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2014, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Can't help but think that this situation wouldn't be so extreme if there had been greater integration and encouragement to participate in all things British!
Oh how very, very true !!!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2014, 02:04 PM

They can only participate where welcome IMO, I have many times said integrate but looking at how unwelcoming many people are I can see why they retreat into themselves.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2014, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Can't help but think that this situation wouldn't be so extreme if there had been greater integration and encouragement to participate in all things British!

It's a good point and the difference in culture and attitude is huge. The problem is that when 2 cultures which are so different come together there, the differences are all we see.

From a religious aspect there is a big difference in that religion is a part of daily life which affects all aspects of your life if you are a practicing Muslim whereas religion is definitely not a part of everyday life for the average person in the UK.
The religious rules mean a completely different attitude which is much more conservative and affect food, dress etc.

The way people here in the Uk and the west generally, and especially young people have so much freedom in regards to clothes, drinking alcohol, sex etc is seen as completely alien to the culture and religious beliefs and I think that people are frightened of their children being influenced by it.
In some ways what is seen as a decadent lifestyle is a driving force for the more extreme version of their religion being increasingly practiced.

So integration to the point that would be acceptable to us would be seen as a complete loss of identity and religious values to them, it's a complex problem.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2014, 05:54 PM

Very good points Anita - years ago we may have fared better on both sides with the changes, I have serious doubts now ........
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-11-2014, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
It's a good point and the difference in culture and attitude is huge. The problem is that when 2 cultures which are so different come together there, the differences are all we see.

From a religious aspect there is a big difference in that religion is a part of daily life which affects all aspects of your life if you are a practicing Muslim whereas religion is definitely not a part of everyday life for the average person in the UK.
The religious rules mean a completely different attitude which is much more conservative and affect food, dress etc.

The way people here in the Uk and the west generally, and especially young people have so much freedom in regards to clothes, drinking alcohol, sex etc is seen as completely alien to the culture and religious beliefs and I think that people are frightened of their children being influenced by it.
In some ways what is seen as a decadent lifestyle is a driving force for the more extreme version of their religion being increasingly practiced.

So integration to the point that would be acceptable to us would be seen as a complete loss of identity and religious values to them, it's a complex problem.
There is certainly a big difference when comparing faiths, but I wonder just how much this difference can be explained by the perception of the christian faith. Although I'm not a regular church-goer, I do believe in good and evil.......good being practised by christians and evil by the devil. So in a way, if you believe in good rather than evil, you are actually practicing christian beliefs in your every day life. The most we may outwardly show is a small cross on a chain, so not particularly obvious!

Returning to the question of integration and the British way of life - I really believe we should be encouraging and indeed enforcing some aspects of integration.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top