Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2014, 09:51 PM

Re: Staffies and the like

So true Julie. Well said.

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I actually respect people who don't like animals and are willing to say so and not have any, the people I dislike are ones who say they love their dog while starving it or beating it. Give me an honest person who knows they don't want an animal than someone who clearly doesn't like animals but inflicts cruelty on them.
Roseredlee
United Kingdom
Roseredlee is female  Roseredlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2014, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Baxter8 ->
What an incredibly immature response.

Are you known for tossing your toys out the pram when people take offence to what you say?
There would certainly be those who would agree that I've never grown up I suppose. Having just read some of the obviously heartfelt yet to me really over the top responses to the expression of a personal reaction to certain breeds' appearance with rising incredulity, I was moved to make a facetious response. For example, how can it be said that someone doesn't like animals if they find a particular one ugly, as has been said here?
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2014, 06:53 AM

I don't want to burst your little egocentric bubble there Roseredlee but the heartfelt responses were not all about you and your remarks. In my experience people have always welcomed an opportunity to discuss their love of animals.

You need to re-evaluate that huge chip on your shoulder.

Originally Posted by Roseredlee ->
Having just read some of the obviously heartfelt yet to me really over the top responses to the expression of a personal reaction to certain breeds' appearance with rising incredulity, I was moved to make a facetious response. For example, how can it be said that someone doesn't like animals if they find a particular one ugly, as has been said here?
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2014, 08:12 AM

I think a discussion about animals causes such emotion in people. I suppose it's like marmite - you either love it or hate it.

Julie, true enough. Rather have someone saying they dislike animals rather than have owners who beat and abuse. That break my heart, the thought of an animal being abused. Any sniff of it and I'd be on the RSPCA immediately, no matter who it was.

I saw peoples reaction to animals when I went can collecting on the high street, for the RSPCA. Some stopped and were generous, others laughed in your face that you were actually collecting for animals.
Baxter8
Somerset

31-10-2014, 11:22 AM

I was reminded this morning of just how badly staffies are treated.

A young woman I work with took on a staffie from a breeder (I use that term in the loosest sense), the "breeder" lives in a static caravan and has staffie mum, dad and kept one of the male puppies. None of whom have been neutered. Recently the staffie mum came into season which caused dad and son to come into violent conflict with one another. No doubt staffie mum will have yet another litter of staffie puppies that she can sell for £50. I don't think for one minute she will pay to have her dogs neutered with the proceeds so it will continue.

My colleague, alarmed at the injuries the son was subjected to, took him on. Only the son is now traumatised from his experience and has become fear reactive to other dog (which includes her two dogs) so she's thinking one of her options is to dump him on the road and then call the RSPCA.

That is what we mean when we say they end up in the wrong hands.

If it were me I would be tempted to euthanize the male puppy that has now become fear reactive. Not because I'm callous but because I don't think there is any hope for him unless someone is willing to spend money and lots of time with him to counter-condition and train him. That doesn't look likely does it.

Feeling absolutely forlorn about whole thing to be honest.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2014, 11:37 AM

Terrible really terrible but PTS is not the worst thing could happen to him now.
Baxter8
Somerset

31-10-2014, 11:42 AM

Exactly Julie - my fear is that he will be bounced from home to home, becoming increasingly reactive and anxious until he is led by a police officer out of one of those houses on a long stick with a hook at the end.

There's a lot worse fate than euthanasia - I think this poor boy might live it too.

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Terrible really terrible but PTS is not the worst thing could happen to him now.

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top