Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2021, 07:46 PM

You Have One Whole Fresh Chicken....

I think a chicken or a turkey are the most versatile meats.

This is what l do with mine for myself. One whole chicken is too much for me.

First l cut it in half and freeze one of the breasts to use for another time. I cut off the legs, thighs and wings and freeze them.
I will use the chicken wings when l have enough. l put salt and black pepper on, then roast or grill them.

The thighs l use in a chicken stew or casserole and the legs in soups with vegetables.

I am having one of the breasts now, roasted with various roasted vegetables, carrots, sweet potatoes, mushrooms and parsnips. I have also steamed cabbage and peas.
I usually do roast but instead l have done mashed potatoes with onions and cheese on the top baked in a Pyrex dish and l will make some gravy.
This will do me for two days dinners, so l put it on two plates and warm one up tomorrow.

If there is any spare chicken, l will have a sandwich or make a little curry for another day..

Please tell me what you do with your one whole chicken?
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2021, 07:53 PM

Re: You Have One Whole Fresh Chicken....

One Whole Fresh Chicken....

stew it up ... onion garlic cloves nutmeg olive olive ...yum
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2021, 07:59 PM

Sounds nice Art , tell me do you do chicken soup with the leftover carcass , I always do . I'll cook it up and any left over veg or potatoes anything even the gravy goes in .
Delicious

Chicken soup for the soul
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2021, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Sounds nice Art , tell me do you do chicken soup with the leftover carcass , I always do . I'll cook it up and any left over veg or potatoes anything even the gravy goes in .
Delicious

Chicken soup for the soul
Yes l do use the carcass, Susan. I hate those clear, jelly knobbly things though!

I don’t like roasted legs or thighs but l can eat them in a soup or stew.

I just think, you can get so much out of one chicken. I prefer it hot rather than cold.

If l have cold chicken it’s usually with a salad or l make chicken fried rice wth battered chicken and sweet and sour sauce.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

14-02-2021, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
One Whole Fresh Chicken....

stew it up ... onion garlic cloves nutmeg olive olive ...yum
That sounds nice too, d00d. What do you have with it?
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2021, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
That sounds nice too, d00d. What do you have with it?
woops I meant to say olive oil.

A whole chicken should make 3 or 4 meals for two. It falls off the bone, get rid of that, freeze portions, can be served with anything, pasta, rice, mash, pastry....
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2021, 08:20 PM

Now I'm hungry 🙂
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2021, 09:34 PM

What do you use to cut up the chicken? Any special kitchen implement? I often cook a whole chicken, but like the idea of cutting it, for the separate parts.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2021, 09:44 PM

You Have One Whole Fresh Chicken.
Chop it up,
..cover it with sage to mask the smell ,
..cover with foil and cook slowly,
..remove the skin and bones,
..give to Chloe
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2021, 10:54 PM

In summer most of the chicken would be eaten cold with salad which is what I mostly live on in the warmer weather.

Winter is the time for half of the chicken to make a roast plus some cold for a sandwich. The remainder is used in the slow-cooker for a tasty casserole, without too much preparation time. That with plenty of vegetables will usually make two meals for me so in total I get about three meals out of one whole chicken.

I started eating more chicken when changing my lifestyle after being diagnosed as almost Type 2 diabetic. Chicken, being a white meat without too much fat but lots of protein is reckoned to be good when undertaking such a change.

The lifestyle change worked I was no longer pre-diabetic and I lost 10kg in weight too! ,

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top