Join for free
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2013, 11:02 PM

drastic action now required

Ohh well really gotta take action on my puter now ...starting to freeze more and more , so some drastic action will be required ...I have tried doing a back up using the windows back up prog but it told me tonight it failed and swallowed nearly 700gb of my 1 tb drive ....when i tried to access the drive i found that instead of amending the data it was trying to rewrite all data and another system image ...so i try to 'delete' the data to start again....the funny thing is it wont let me even as administrator .....just tells me the file is missing grrrr either my extyernal backup drive is screwed or it has downloaded the same corrupted info which has plagued me fore weeks ....so the plan is ...buy a new backup , to guarantee personal data can be saved ..Format the old drive (if it will let me)...download my data onto my old drive as well and scan it for viruses and maleware before i re-install it ....i have already done this , but i will try several different VS progs as well as Norton...if anyone else can advise on steps i would be grateful...
PS i have a special tool at hand guaranteed to work ...its called a HAMMER
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2013, 11:05 PM

Re: drastic action now required

I can recommend that! Try threatening to buy an ipad, that seems to worry them!
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2013, 12:22 AM

It sounds to me like your computer needs to be formatted as you appear to have corrupted files.

Hell's teeth Steve, how did it get to that point if you've been having problems for weeks?

For pity's sake do not install Norton as it is a law unto itself and despite what other folk will tell you (and who's had it for years with no problems) it really isn't sufficient.

Have you read other threads in this section where folk have had computer problems, as there are lots of them.

The freezing could be happening if you're not deleting all your browser information, as that will slow it down almost to a standstill if this is not not regularly.

Personal data should now be backed up onto CD before your computer crashes but, if that is in Word, then it won't or shouldn't be lost.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES download more than one anti-virus scan. You can have as many anti-spyware as you like, and make doubly sure that you only have one Firewall running.

Scan with something like Superantispyware to see if it detects anything nasty. You don't say which anti-virus you have, but one of the best ones around is AVG which is free. No need to pay for these things as the free is as good as the bought ones.

Good luck.
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2013, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
I can recommend that! Try threatening to buy an ipad, that seems to worry them!
dont swear i pad really my dads got one i wont touch the rubbish
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2013, 12:27 AM

Steve, check out my reply to you. We both posted at the same time.
ukmartian
Ipswich uk

19-08-2013, 01:57 AM

It all started when i started getting BSOD ....it then developed into a state when i could not access anything ...It is posted on here a few weeks ago ...It was diagnosed as a HDD failure so it was replaced ...however the computer ass restored the windows files and data by cloning the old HDD ...my theory is he also cloned over damaged files from when the old HDD failed ...i gave the idiot the restore CD he also partitioned it wrong ...gave my C drive 350 gb and my D drive 650 gb should have been the other way round ....so now i will do the clean re-install and repartition the disc myself ......I know something is screwed as i cannot delete the files on my external HDD so i can start a fresh so it has migrated there as well .....I have backed up all my data and scanned it on a 2nd HD and that is clean .....

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top