Join for free
Page 127 of 370 « First < 27 77 117 125 126 127 128 129 137 177 227 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2018, 11:51 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Surfermom, what can I say.......I was just settling down with a cup of tea imagining I was running beside you along those parkland trails, when you mentioned the approaching truck. I sort of expected what happened next, because it's happened to me on a few occasions. I've even had friendly hounds jump up and deliver a good licking, while depositing half of the muddy lane on my first time out running kit. But the white paint is a bridge too far.....Was it emulsion or oil based gloss? Both equally difficult to remove with soap and water...Although the oil based paint takes longer to dry and would still be soluble with some white spirit or turps. I have got an old painting coat that had some external emulsion splashed on it, after been washed several times the paint remains.....

The joys of running.....Actually, after thinking about it, you might look rather attractive sporting the new streaks in your hair...Mrs Fox pays a fortune to do the same thing...
PS:- Didn't notice any typos.......You're allowed a few though under the circumstances....Will you be going out tomorrow for a second coat?..
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2018, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Lol thanks. I did nearly slip over crossing the road in my wellies and a bystander said "be careful" in a friendly way.

You would really enjoy yoga OGF. It's amazing that more men aren't into it. There are all sorts and Ashtanga is really energetic and really challenging. It's like bodybuilding without weights! The videos I post are mainly vinyasa yoga which works on generating heat and flow through a certain set of movements which get the blood pumping. You burn a lot of energy without realising. There's a bit of hatha there which is less intense but more about stretching. But the main thing is that you strengthen the core abs and other supporting muscles. The one guy on my first yoga retreat was a fitness instructor in his spare time.

You do have to be a bit careful if you have an injury. Tell the instructor and they will tell you how to modify the moves. I hope you get into it. I used to be really into running before I had just one injury too many. Yoga gives you a different kind of buzz. A better buzz in many ways.
Thanks Annie, I believe that my core strength is probably the reason for my occasional back pain and stiffness, and in the worst cases, having to refrain from running completely.
The trouble with me is; I get stuck in a rut, doing all my runs at the same speed over the same courses and you sort of take running for granted so it's such a shock when things break down. Particular attention has to paid to flexibility and core strength, especially in the winter when muscles object to being out in the cold, and also as age begins to have it's wicked way with you.

If I'm going to continue to run longer into old age I must address some of these issues, and Yoga could perhaps provide me the physical suppleness and core strength that I will need for future trouble free running. The Cat exercise that Ruthio posted has certainly took some of the pain away and improved flexibility for the time being, but I'm not ready to start running again just yet, although yesterday's mile long walk and a couple of sessions on the exercise bike seem to have passed without incident, so things are looking up....
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2018, 01:26 PM

The sun is out the sky is blue...and Im feeling loads better now...should really make myself go out for a walk
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2018, 03:54 PM

Good morning! How nice to hear that the weather is becoming milder your way, which will enable everyone to at least get out to stretch their legs a little.

I have survived the great white-washing of 2018 none the worse for wear. Thankfully the paint was water-based so it came off or out, as the case may be.

Some things are worth the disaster and embarrassment to have the story to tell, so this one will be tucked away for resuscitation another day.

The yoga is coming along, I feel loose as a goose, but slowing down continues to be the challenge...

Now, with no excuses to make up for a missed run yesterday, warm up the tea...
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2018, 05:03 PM

I think we have some nice weather at last. Whether Florida is the same I don't know but I expect you have it great out there now Surfermom. Sorry to hear about the mishap with the paint yesterday though, that sounds like a horrendous experience.

Everybody seems to be doing yoga all of a sudden. Bob - I imagine it will do you some good, once you get accustomed to it. I must say I looked at Annie's video she kindly posted on here but I'm sorry it's just not me thing. My neck and lower back eased off on their own over the remaining part of last week, so touch wood, I'm back in the swing of things again.

Ruthio, Mups. Great to see you both sticking with your own respective walks and stretches and so on, same with you, Swimmy. A day at a time, like everything and we'll all be fit as a fiddle soon...or maybe a cello at least! Hope I haven't missed anybody out!

So yes, Springtime is here with an alarming force. Driving home this morning it was still rather chilly at 3° but waking up this afternoon and driving to the gym the temperature was a very mild 16° and was a beautifully sunny day. There’s something seriously wrong with our climate these days! But we can’t complain about how things have suddenly turned out. I get especially down when the weather is gloomy and today’s invigorated weather saw me return with that long lost spring in my step as I was itching to get back training again.

So onwards to the gym I went for the first time in exactly one week. Because it’s been so long, I decided to basically pick and choose a selection of exercises without sticking to certain muscle groups; i.e. a ‘pick ‘n’ mix’ full body session. Nine exercises from my programme, with the rest to be split between two more days this week, leaving a hearty intensive session for the weekend.

Monday, 5 Mar 18:

PUSH

DB press, 20kg:
20/15/12

Chest press, 40kg:
25/18/15
*Up 5kg from last time, reps still the same which means a good strength increase without affecting the stamina from the rep count.

Single DB press, flat bench, 44kg:
25/20/15
*Added 2kg this time to the dumbbell weight with the same reps making the triceps work harder.

PULL

Seated Row, 41kg:
20/18/15
*Increasing the weight to 47kg next time on this. Reps may be decreased slightly until I get used to the weight.

Machine bicep curls, both arms, 25kg:
25/20/15
*One more week at this weight then I’ll be adding 5kg.

Lat pulldown, hammer bar, 35kg:
25/20/15

LEGS

Incline press, 170kg:
50/40/30
*Another 10kg added this time but the reps are still too many which means I can handle more weight than this. Next time, another 10kg to be added and hopefully this will make me push myself a little more.

Extensions, 35kg:
25/20/15
*I brought this exercise back last week to test my knees, seeing if it affected the arthritis. I can honestly say that they have improved very much with only odd twinge now and again. Soon I’ll be adding weight to these once more.

Abductor, 60kg:
35/25/15

50 minutes.

Loved all that, nice to mix things up. Next time I’ll be picking some different exercises from my routine but with the same format.
Talk again soon
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

05-03-2018, 05:59 PM

Well I might not be lacing up the running shoes just yet, but I haven't been idle either...Oh No!

Sorted out a nice two mile walk to get my teeth into, only steady mind.. A bit sore after yesterday's two, but feeling a lot better today, I even walked round in me shorts in the balmy weather, Floydy's right, the weather was brilliant today. I've also been doing fifteen minutes on the exercise bike and a couple of sessions of Ruthios cat stretch....
It's not getting any worse anyway......
Lot's to do over the next two days in preparation for the holiday, but I'll keep up the walking and exercising meanwhile and perhaps have a wander round the gym when we arrive on board...Although I think Swimming is going to be the best bet for my back.

Another good workout Floydy, I guessed we'd all feel better when we spotted the sun.. Keep up the good work mate....

I'm surprised to read that Surfermom craves a cup of tea.... I thought all Americans got off on a cup of coffee.....good choice anyway Surfermom.....

Did you manage to go out on your walk Ruthio, with weather like today's you'd have had to tie my legs together to stop me getting out today....
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2018, 06:04 PM

Yes! Yesterday I walked about a mile across the Common and back again in the sunshine. It felt so good to be out again after several weeks of ill health and then the snow etc.

Today its pouring with rain, theres no way...a quick stretch and thats it!
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2018, 07:18 PM

Another swim
I go straight after work so no distractions back at home!

I have a question actually..
When I first used to go (10 months ago) I'd manage 60 lengths and it took me about an hour 10 minutes on average. I got quicker
After about 3 months I upped it to a hundred lengths and that used to take me about an hour 10 to begin with too.
Since about 3 months I've been doing the 100 easily within an hour and on Saturday, and again today It took me 50 minutes to do the hundred.

Question: Is it better to stick to the 100 in 50 minutes and try to keep the speed up for a while (because it feels more cardio rather than just aerobic)?
Or should I stick to the hour and try to up it to 120 lengths (and maybe not attaining that every single time I go)

Is the speed or the length of time or the distance the most important thing???

Sorry that's 3 questions!
Thanks in advance for any advice
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

05-03-2018, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Another swim
I go straight after work so no distractions back at home!

I have a question actually..
When I first used to go (10 months ago) I'd manage 60 lengths and it took me about an hour 10 minutes on average. I got quicker
After about 3 months I upped it to a hundred lengths and that used to take me about an hour 10 to begin with too.
Since about 3 months I've been doing the 100 easily within an hour and on Saturday, and again today It took me 50 minutes to do the hundred.

Question: Is it better to stick to the 100 in 50 minutes and try to keep the speed up for a while (because it feels more cardio rather than just aerobic)?
Or should I stick to the hour and try to up it to 120 lengths (and maybe not attaining that every single time I go)

Is the speed or the length of time or the distance the most important thing???

Sorry that's 3 questions!
Thanks in advance for any advice
Hells Bells Rhian, I'm going to have to get my finger out if I'm going to do anything like that....

However, Doctor Michael Mosley reckons that if you're exercising to improve your health and strength, then High Intensity low reps is the way to go. From a long distance runner (Me) Low Intensity endurance training (100 plus lengths) will improve your stamina. Strength training must be done frequently otherwise it will start to diminish quickly, whereas stamina takes longer to build, but also takes longer to lose. Hope this helps Rhian....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

05-03-2018, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Yes! Yesterday I walked about a mile across the Common and back again in the sunshine. It felt so good to be out again after several weeks of ill health and then the snow etc.

Today its pouring with rain, theres no way...a quick stretch and thats it!
That's strange Ruthio, it's been a fantastic day today here in South Yorkshire, and apparently just up the road in Hull. I'm sure the good weather is on it's way to you.... Well done on the walk though.... I'm glad you're feeling better...

Page 127 of 370 « First < 27 77 117 125 126 127 128 129 137 177 227 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top