Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2018, 07:01 AM

Too Much Solar?

As more an more people put solar panels on their roof we are rapidly approaching the point where we will have too much power available in the middle of the day and not enough power at night.

Already in some areas the high voltages cause by solar panels feeding power into the grid is proving to be a problem. The grid was designed to feed power from a central location to distributed users not the other way round.

This will mean that the value of electricity during the day will plummet while at night time power will increase in value - virtually the opposite of the situation now

The only solution to this is power storage in the form of batteries (and smart meters) because otherwise the power homes are feeding into the grid will be virtually valueless.

Let's hope battery storage becomes a more economic proposition soon or that the electricity suppliers invest in batteries like the 100MWH Tesla battery in SA.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2018, 11:10 AM

Re: Too Much Solar?

Not much chance of too much Solar here Bruce, although I can see your point (I'd never really thought of that) and even here, when the sun does shine it won't be at the time when there is a large demand on the national grid. At the moment people are allowed a good subsidy on their unused power (although it has greatly reduced as solar becomes more popular) but I can see this diminishing even further as there will be a surplus of unused energy.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top