Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 04:11 PM

Re: Driving after 70.

A couple of days ago I passed a couple and their baby who had obviously been out in the car. She was saying 'I LOVE the way I drive...' He was saying, inbetween...'the braking, the clutch...'

All she kept responding with was 'I love the way I drive...'

Obviously a difference of opinion there. It made me chuckle as the exchange was very light hearted, but he obviously had a problem with it.

I have been a passenger in cars driven by people much younger than myself, last week and a month or so back, and been horrified at their standards. I wouldn't like to make a habit of it.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
A couple of days ago I passed a couple and their baby who had obviously been out in the car. She was saying 'I LOVE the way I drive...' He was saying, inbetween...'the braking, the clutch...'

All she kept responding with was 'I love the way I drive...'

Obviously a difference of opinion there. It made me chuckle as the exchange was very light hearted, but he obviously had a problem with it.

I have been a passenger in cars driven by people much younger than myself, last week and a month or so back, and been horrified at their standards. I wouldn't like to make a habit of it.

Jazzi, there are only so many people I feel comfortable with when they are driving. Sounds awful, but true. My partner and my sons. An odd friend. I've been in cars where I've put my foot on a phantom brake

My mum says I'm the best driver she knows. God love her, but I hope she's right
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Such as ?

I always assumed they would be telling everyone when they change the rules.
Would everyone - indeed, anyone - listen? Especially those drivers who think they know it all?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Would everyone - indeed, anyone - listen? Especially those drivers who think they know it all?
Well many of us would yes, driving rules are something I like to know about, don't want a fine just because I haven't kept up. But no one seems to be saying what these changes are .. so I assume none at all ?? just people trying to suggest they are better than others.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 08:52 PM

Such as ?
I always assumed they would be telling everyone when they change the rules.
Who are 'they'?
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 09:01 PM

Well many of us would yes, driving rules are something I like to know about, don't want a fine just because I haven't kept up. But no one seems to be saying what these changes are .. so I assume none at all ??
You assume wrongly...here's some just for this year...

5 New Laws Drivers Should Be Aware of in 2015
The last 12 months have seen a number of big changes for motorists across the UK, and it looks very much like 2015 will follow suit.

New laws on smoking in cars that are carrying children, drug-driving limits and even changes to our driving licences are all in the pipeline for the New year.

So here’s a look at some of the changes that have taken place, as well as those which will be introduced in the coming months which all motorists need to be aware of.

You No Longer Need a Tax Disc

Although the law came into effect in October 2014, this year is probably the first time that many motorists will face the new law changes when it comes to road tax. Drivers are no longer required to display a tax disc on the windscreen and the DVLA now hold a record of all vehicles on their computer. Obviously you still need to pay vehicle tax and you will get a renewal reminder when your vehicle tax is due to expire.

Drink Drive Laws have changed in Scotland

A new law came into force at the end of 2014 which makes the legal drink-drive limit in Scotland lower than elsewhere in the UK. The legal alcohol limit north of the border has changed from 80mg in every 100ml of blood to 50mg.

Smoking in Cars will Become Illegal

From 1 October 2015 smoking in cars carrying children will become illegal. The new law will make it an offence for parents, carers or other adults in a car carrying anyone under the age of 18 to light up and the punishment is expected to carry a £60 fine or points on a motorist’s licence, rising to as much as £10,000 for drivers who fail to stop passengers smoking in a vehicle carrying a child.

Paper Driving License No Longer Valid

From 8 June 2015, the photocard licence counterpart will no longer be issued by the DVLA. Obviously penalty points and the status of your driving licence won’t change, but will be recorded on the DVLA’s central driver database instead. However the DVLA advise that paper licences issued before 1998 will remain valid, and should not be destroyed.

New Drug-Driving Laws Come into Effect

In March 2015 a new law on driving under the influence of certain drugs, including some common medicines, will come into force. These changes state that it is an offence to drive with certain drugs in your system above a specified level, even if your driving ability is not impaired. The new law mainly relates to prescription medications that are sometimes abused, but if you do take certain drugs for health reasons, it might be worth checking if this puts you in danger.
Uff
Scotland
Uff is female  Uff has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 10:27 PM

I didn't know that the paper driving license was no longer valid. I wonder what will happen now when a driving license is needed to prove something ie if we rent a car.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
Who are 'they'?
Good question, one I stopped asking a fair while ago.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2015, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
You assume wrongly...here's some just for this year...

5 New Laws Drivers Should Be Aware of in 2015
The last 12 months have seen a number of big changes for motorists across the UK, and it looks very much like 2015 will follow suit.

New laws on smoking in cars that are carrying children, drug-driving limits and even changes to our driving licences are all in the pipeline for the New year.

So here’s a look at some of the changes that have taken place, as well as those which will be introduced in the coming months which all motorists need to be aware of.

You No Longer Need a Tax Disc

Although the law came into effect in October 2014, this year is probably the first time that many motorists will face the new law changes when it comes to road tax. Drivers are no longer required to display a tax disc on the windscreen and the DVLA now hold a record of all vehicles on their computer. Obviously you still need to pay vehicle tax and you will get a renewal reminder when your vehicle tax is due to expire.

Drink Drive Laws have changed in Scotland

A new law came into force at the end of 2014 which makes the legal drink-drive limit in Scotland lower than elsewhere in the UK. The legal alcohol limit north of the border has changed from 80mg in every 100ml of blood to 50mg.

Smoking in Cars will Become Illegal

From 1 October 2015 smoking in cars carrying children will become illegal. The new law will make it an offence for parents, carers or other adults in a car carrying anyone under the age of 18 to light up and the punishment is expected to carry a £60 fine or points on a motorist’s licence, rising to as much as £10,000 for drivers who fail to stop passengers smoking in a vehicle carrying a child.

Paper Driving License No Longer Valid

From 8 June 2015, the photocard licence counterpart will no longer be issued by the DVLA. Obviously penalty points and the status of your driving licence won’t change, but will be recorded on the DVLA’s central driver database instead. However the DVLA advise that paper licences issued before 1998 will remain valid, and should not be destroyed.

New Drug-Driving Laws Come into Effect

In March 2015 a new law on driving under the influence of certain drugs, including some common medicines, will come into force. These changes state that it is an offence to drive with certain drugs in your system above a specified level, even if your driving ability is not impaired. The new law mainly relates to prescription medications that are sometimes abused, but if you do take certain drugs for health reasons, it might be worth checking if this puts you in danger.
All reported on the news, so those who watch/listen to the news would be aware.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2015, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Uff ->
I didn't know that the paper driving license was no longer valid. I wonder what will happen now when a driving license is needed to prove something ie if we rent a car.
There's a new scheme online for rental companies to check for points etc. But the driver has to get a code to access it. Not sure whether it is actually operating, though, as it seems like unnecessary hassle...

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top