Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2013, 07:38 PM

Re: Cloudy2Clear

Steve - how did you get on regarding your windows ......?
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2013, 04:35 PM

We've had one quote from a subcontractor who does work for Cloudy2Clear and he's saying £650, which is a lot less than I'd thought but we've got another one coming on Monday now who is from Cloudy2Clear and not the same company so we've let the first one know but he then said he'd beat any quote of theirs!

Interesting!

The contractor that did next door's fascia soffits and guttering has said that if we are interested, they'll quote for us but guarantee that we'll pay less than our neighbours!

Even more interesting!

It seems by the way that Cloudy2Clear are a franchise company so each area has it's own firm that deals specifically in that particular area.

Whether this means prices are likely to be different from one area to another I do not know!. stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2013, 04:39 PM

Yes I saw the franchise bit when I looked them up .....
Let us know how you get on, if the contractor did a good job for the neighbour maybe they 'are' worth considering, although windows are a different kettle of fish to soffits. Think I would prefer someone experienced in the windows lark .....
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2013, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Yes I saw the franchise bit when I looked them up .....
Let us know how you get on, if the contractor did a good job for the neighbour maybe they 'are' worth considering, although windows are a different kettle of fish to soffits. Think I would prefer someone experienced in the windows lark .....
Sorry Patsy, I should have made it clearer.

We were pointed towards the contractor, (Andy), that does the windows for Cloudy2Clear, by the contractors doing next door's soffits & guttering.

They have now contacted us independently as they do only soffits & guttering, with a very good offer on ours, if we want.
It's certainly improved the look of next door's house no end, which is, like ours, 1926 built so it's worth considering, especially as we know we'll have to spruce up our house to maximise what we can get for it in today's fickle market!

We want to downsize because much is we love our old house and our garden, it's too big for just the two of us. stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

16-11-2013, 04:52 PM

Oh I see Steve .....
When you say downsize, do you mean a flat - if so, consider 'not' buying leasehold Steve ....
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

16-11-2013, 05:02 PM

Oh I see Steve .....
When you say downsize, do you mean a flat - if so, consider 'not' buying leasehold Steve ....
Our dream is a bungalow but we know it's unlikely around here so a 2-bed house with a small garden is what we want Patsy.
Talking of leasehold though, there's a development about two miles away from us that's got bungalows and they're all leasehold.
I'm interested because my former work colleague lived in one so I've been inside and they're really nice too.

My wife's not keen on leasehold though, nor where this development is because it's quite a hike from any shops and she doesn't drive.

She'll take some convincing and we'll need to know the ground rent too.

My mate said it was very low when he was there as he owned 80% but it's been over a year now and things change don't they?! stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

16-11-2013, 05:04 PM

When you say a 'development' you dont mean a retirement development do you ......
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

16-11-2013, 05:20 PM

When you say a 'development' you dont mean a retirement development do you ......
No Patsy. It's a mixed development of 2 & 3 bed houses with 2-bed bungalows too and there's also a sheltered housing unit there for about 20 1-bed residents I think - never checked but it's near to the bungalow my mate had!

The development has a general store, a church or chapel and a meeting point or hall and the bus services goes through the main section of the internal roads too.

I love it but my wife's cagey about it because it is a bit out of the town; only by a mile or so but she doesn't drive and all the shops we use now are within walking distance of our present house.

She has mobility issues at the moment, hence her current viewpoint. stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

16-11-2013, 05:47 PM

If your wife has mobility issues she has a good point Steve .....
We moved here because the shops were nearby - walking distance.
So, you do need to give this thought, to see how she would manage .....
It sounds lovely but you need to do some investigation on the particular site - dont take everything on face value .....
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

19-11-2013, 06:39 PM

Well we've now booked-up Cloudy2Clear for the 6th of December to replace the glazed units in seven windows.

£651 including VATand the paperwork says we do not pay unless were are absolutely 100% happy.

The invoice and 5 year guarantee will be left by the fitters and they then want a cheque sent by post provided we are happy.

The man we spoke to said on the 'phone about an hour ago that if there's anything at all we're not happy with, call him and if he can't rectify it to our full satisfaction he said he'd by very surprised indeed!

We found out that we've been quoted for toughened glass upstairs too for safety reasons as our upstairs window sills are only about 18" off the floor - always been a bit of a worry!
The other blokes never backed-up the verbal quote so - their loss.

My wife's adamant about that development Patsy- it's still a No!!! stevmk2

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top