Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2014, 04:56 PM

Re: Automatic transmission.

Manuals for me, I can't stand automatics, I need to be in control of the car.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2014, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
Manuals for me, I can't stand automatics, I need to be in control of the car.
Not quite sure what I'm supposed not to be in control of when driving my auto Jimmy, but there is a school of thought that would assert that there is much better control of the vehicle with two hands on the wheel than with one....
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2014, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Not quite sure what I'm supposed not to be in control of when driving my auto Jimmy, but there is a school of thought that would assert that there is much better control of the vehicle with two hands on the wheel than with one....
I like to choose which gear I am driving in by myself, not have the car choose.
I had to drive a friends automatic once, and hated it, for the first twenty minutes I kept trying to change gear and doing an emergency stop.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2014, 11:25 PM

Driven both for years and for me auto every time. Gear change is a complete drag in todays traffic plus my auto's are faster through the gears when over-taking.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2014, 07:17 AM

It would be better to be in a manual car if the brakes failed Imo.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2014, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
It would be better to be in a manual car if the brakes failed Imo.
Modern automatics do incorporate an element of engine braking Paul, they don't freewheel like they used to when you take your foot off the gas and usually have selectable low gears to provide normal engine braking when required. However, in fifty years of motoring brake failure has never happened to me or anyone else that I know of, so that argument against autos is a pretty thin one methinks...
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2014, 09:03 AM

If you have a service each year, brakes should be covered and therefore fine - I hope ........
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2014, 09:53 AM

As todays cars have dual braking systems not sure how you would get complete brake loss. Further if you change the braking fluid at decent intervals it does not take in a water content which can boil. Again not a problem I have had in past years as I have used silicone brake fluid as used in aircraft.
Services are a complete and utter total rip-off, that is where the money is made by garages , not profit from selling the car. Then if you buy a new car the guarantee forces services on you.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2014, 10:08 AM

Our car is fairly old and a yearly service has proved worthwhile for us, we go to the same guy each year ......
dukeofearl
south coast uk

10-08-2014, 01:07 PM

Well worse it looks like I need new tyres, that works out at over 4p per mile for tyres again and we worry about the price of petrol.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top