Join for free
Page 41 of 754 « First < 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 91 141 541 > Last »
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2016, 09:52 AM

Re: Over 50's Club Scotland (part 3)

Morning folks, ive always thought of the Highlands as North and West of the Great Glen, based on the Highland boundary fault.

Im sure it may be more flexible than that.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2016, 12:47 PM

Ah now here's a challenge for sure. For all us sassanaks where does the true Scottish Highlands start - only sassanaks live in the lowlands I've been told!!

After Bute we were disappointed with Loch Ness – didn’t see any ripples on the Loch and the place was so packed out that we managed to get the last chalet in the town. We asked the hotelier where was Aultbea – he explained keep going north and stick to the east coast and you can’t miss it. We had friends staying there but no address or phone – that was the challenge. We discovered that Aultbea had been a secret submarine base during the war for the subs to refuel un-noticed. Aultbea and its surrounding countryside was a place of vivid contrasts. We discovered our friends by asking at the local store and they said “oh yes they live at the last cottage but one further down”!

There was a majesty of Aultbea and a dullness too. The small housing estate looked like something out of “The Bill” scenario – dull pebbled walls and unkempt front gardens [perhaps a throwback to workers for the submarine bases?], but the surrounding natural countryside was majestic.

One of our friends was a Scot and wanted to build a modern crofter on a piece of hillside they had purchased. He was having great difficulties getting planning permission. If he had had purchased with a derelict crofter in situ no problems – renovate and be damned but building from scratch – no way.

I believe there are only three hotels/pubs in Aultbea and we chose one and went for the ala carte menu instead of bar menu. We were placed in a large dining room with a bay window looking out to sea and we were the only foursome there all evening. It was quite magical and quite expensive too!

They took us next day to a local fair and country house selling plants. I think we had seen the poor and rich side of Aultbea. Across the street from their rented home was a pebbled beach and small dinghies beached on the shores of Loch Ewe I guess, but there are 12 other Lochs around those parts I discovered. So we had spent two evenings and two days and then had to start heading south again for our family gathering in a week time in Cheshire. I’m not sure if there would have been anything else to do in Aultbea anyway but our guests were genuinely sorry to see us go and begged us to stay a few more days.

Plockton and the Isle of Skye here we came!
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2016, 01:13 PM

Eh!!!...Sassenachs in Scotland?.....well only the half million or so English Folks and I have a feeling They reside mainly in Lowland Scotland.

A brief but heavy shower of rain stopped the grass cutting fun thank goodness..where's a handy-Man when Ye need one who would have finished it off regardless.
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2016, 01:59 PM

Meant to be heavy rain here again today but so far only light and not much at all really . Got the two main dog walks of the day without getting soaked so that was a bonus .
Folk festival on here this weekend so might go down to the village later this afternoon to hear some of the music .

Loved your memories Gumbud , keep them coming .
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2016, 03:30 PM

Och I'm fed up dodging in and out of the showers...I wish I hadn't given up drinking then I would just open a bottle of red and give not a jot about the grass getting longer by the day
Nephroin
Ayrshire, Scotland
Nephroin is male  Nephroin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2016, 05:26 PM

Yes, same sketch here May. Grass just about dry enough to mow, then the drizzle returns. I'd like to get it done before I head to my bolt hole for a couple of days. Ho-hum.
I'd send my Tupperware container to you for filling, BUT the logistics may be difficult Not to worry. I was given a 2lbs gutted trout by a friend. Having it tonight. Wrapped in foil with large knob of butter, slices of lemon etc. Nice potatoes to go with it. Yummy ! I'd send you some but I fear it might be a bit cold and soggy when it arrives !

Mike.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND

03-09-2016, 08:31 PM

OOO,fresh Trout and tatties...luvly jubbly..I've had steak mince with mashed tatties & turnip..also luvly jubbly.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2016, 03:30 AM

and no one is eating haggis anymore?
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND

04-09-2016, 08:31 AM

Good Morning Each,a brighter one here at the moment...Off out with Daughter & SIL to the Local hotel/restaurant for lunch later so no cooking Today,

I eat haggis only occasionaly Gumbud fried with bacon & eggs for breakfast,and I've never drank whisky either...horrible stuff
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

04-09-2016, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
Good Morning Each,a brighter one here at the moment...Off out with Daughter & SIL to the Local hotel/restaurant for lunch later so no cooking Today,

I eat haggis only occasionaly Gumbud fried with bacon & eggs for breakfast,and I've never drank whisky either...horrible stuff
Hi May never liked whiskey myself ever. For a long time was a brandy man and when I could afford it drambuie but for some reason I tried an american whiskey - bourbon and been hooked on it ever since - it is of course a whiskey but quite different in taste to scottish whiskey

Page 41 of 754 « First < 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 91 141 541 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top