Join for free
Page 2 of 50 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2015, 09:20 AM

Re: Staying put.

Originally Posted by Mups ->
It's all very well you taking the mick young Nom, but a woman can get treated very differently to a man who knows what they're talking about. I'm not looking forward to it, and yes, you can be assured I shall keep you informed, you'll probably wish you'd got some earplugs soon
Not easy for a woman on her own to cope with either, try to get organised in your mind and at the end of each day tidy up and look at the progress being made - stay positive gal x
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2015, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Good luck Mups I can honestly say the most important decision when choosing a builder is get one who likes dogs, we had 2 working on our bathroom and the days the dog loving man was here was peaceful and he helped me get them out when they needed to go (had to move all his gear so they could get passed) the days the man who hated dogs was here were a nightmare of epic proportions.

I know what you mean Julie. The chap over the road is a builder and I know he wants to do this extension, but he loathes dogs around him, so it just wouldn't work. Obviously I will have to try and keep them out of the way, but it is their home after all - not his. The pup adores people but he won't even touch her when she says hello - miserable old git.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2015, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Not easy for a woman on her own to cope with either, try to get organised in your mind and at the end of each day tidy up and look at the progress being made - stay positive gal x

Thanks Patsy, and all the other ladies, its only these men who don't understand.

Nom, you should try putting a frock on for a while and note the difference in men's attitudes:
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2015, 09:37 AM

Thanks Patsy, and all the other ladies, its only these men who don't understand.

Nom, you should try putting a frock on for a while and note the difference in men's attitudes:
I have always been lucky and had a man to do the negotiating but I completely understand your problem I doubt there are many women who haven't had an experience or two that eventually leave them asking their husband to book the car in or talk to the builders etc. I have nothing but admiration for women who manage to negotiate these things on their own.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2015, 09:52 AM

I know what you mean Julie. The chap over the road is a builder and I know he wants to do this extension, but he loathes dogs around him, so it just wouldn't work. Obviously I will have to try and keep them out of the way, but it is their home after all - not his. The pup adores people but he won't even touch her when she says hello - miserable old git.
Do you have someone in mind to do the work ?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

03-04-2015, 10:05 AM

Not yet Patsy. I want to get 2 or 3 quotes first.
A builder was supposed to come yesterday to give me his opinion and a rough idea of price, but he never showed up. This is precisely what annoys me - people who say they will do something and don't.
Until the detailed plans are ready I cannot get an exact quote, but at this stage I just wanted to get an idea of price range, and whether they would be available to start around June time.
The chap I was hopeful about can't even think about it till late August, but that would mean it would still be dragging on till the autumn. There will still be a new kitchen to fit and all the decorating to do afterwards as well, so no way do I want to still be in a mess for next Christmas. I am hoping to get cracking in June sometime.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

03-04-2015, 10:12 AM

Not yet Patsy. I want to get 2 or 3 quotes first.
A builder was supposed to come yesterday to give me his opinion and a rough idea of price, but he never showed up. This is precisely what annoys me - people who say they will do something and don't.
Until the detailed plans are ready I cannot get an exact quote, but at this stage I just wanted to get an idea of price range, and whether they would be available to start around June time.
The chap I was hopeful about can't even think about it till late August, but that would mean it would still be dragging on till the autumn. There will still be a new kitchen to fit and all the decorating to do afterwards as well, so no way do I want to still be in a mess for next Christmas. I am hoping to get cracking in June sometime.
Unfortunately, you have left it a little late Mups, builders are at their busiest Spring onwards, so would have been better for you if you had enquired earlier.
As for the builder that didn't turn up, that's a big 'no' for me, wouldn't want him for the work.
Have you thought of contacting the local council for their list of builders ......
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

03-04-2015, 10:16 AM

I spoke to Planning Patsy, but the woman told me they 'do not recommend people,' which quite surprised me.
I have a brochure to read about going online onto a site for 'Credited Tradesmen' I think its called. The Architect has given me a list of local builders who they work with too. Only thing is, the first one on their list is the bloke who never came yesterday!!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2015, 10:29 AM

Mups
A couple of pointers for you

Do you need planning permission? some councils will insist on it. Here even to change an internal door to an archway needs planning permission

Don't be afraid to seek out the local planning council officer, they are not out to prevent but will give advise. Get them on your side from the outset, it will pay dividends. Maybe you will not need planning consent but at least you will know
Even ask if one could give you a quick visit may help

Asking them for tradesmen is not in their remit as it could rebound on them for bad information

Just think you have all that work done only to find it all has to be reinstated as was not passed by the council

Make sure you have in writing EXACTLY the work you want carried out with a copy for the builder signed on yours

Don't pay up front, if they want money for materials drop them like a hot potato first. A good builder will have the capital already

Agree "if must" to pay as work progresses in stages and carried out to your instructions and a total costing at the outset

Watch them carefully that they use suitable material. I say this because when we moved into the kennels some double glazed windows were blown so had them replaced and who ever did it originally stuffed J clothes in the brick work as a filler ( True that is) and skimmed over with cement.

Get a definate start date and finish date with a penalty clause in if not finished on time

If you find a builder ask where they had worked before and go see for yourself by asking those who had employed them
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

03-04-2015, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mups;633820[B
]I spoke to Planning Patsy, but the woman told me they 'do not recommend people,' which quite surprised me.[/B]I have a brochure to read about going online onto a site for 'Credited Tradesmen' I think its called. The Architect has given me a list of local builders who they work with too. Only thing is, the first one on their list is the bloke who never came yesterday!!
I'm surprised too !
Maybe its different where you are

Page 2 of 50 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top