Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 03:39 PM

Do you speak the lingo?

We go to Spain twice a year. At the moment I'm learning Spanish as it seems much easier than to mutter broken English.

When you go abroad, do you speak the lingo?
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 03:42 PM

Re: Do you speak the lingo?

I do my best...

At the very least I manage please and thankyou in whatever languge is needed.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 03:48 PM

"Ein bier und ein rot wein bitte"- that usually gets me by.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 03:50 PM

Alan it's good to know the essentials . I'm great at those too
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 04:42 PM

I used to be able to get by OK in German, but every year I forget a bit more. I find it easier to apologise for not speaking it than getting it all wrong.

A related topic... I hate being given an English menu when abroad if I can read one in the local language.
I can still manage a menu in German, French or Dutch, and often the English translations just don't sound right.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

28-06-2015, 04:47 PM

Grumble, my partner was in the Military Police in Germany and knows the language very well. I thought I did too because I studied German at college and got a certificate. However, I'm now rubbish. I am quite enjoying learning Spanish. I gave it a go the other week whilst in Barcelona and low and behold they understood me. Was quite proud of myself, I was
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 05:00 PM

I've always thought it polite to at least try to speak the language in the country you are in.

I studied French for 5 years as my company at that time was a French company and they did appreciate the fact and often told me it was refreshing.

One thing about it that always makes me laugh though is during a holiday around the Riviera, Corsica and Elba in 1991 I was at a small snack bar, waiting for a British woman with two children trying to order something in appalling French who ended up being very rude to the French people in the snack bar.

As she stalked off, the owner turned to his staff and said, in French, "The British huh? Why is it so hard to be polite eh?" and he then noticed me and, in English he apologised.

I told him, in French that in this instance, he was correct but we British are not all like that and I apologised for that woman.

I saw them daily for three days and NOT ONCE would they accept my payment - the French really are great people if you try to communicate. stevmk2
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Myra ->
Grumble, my partner was in the Military Police in Germany and knows the language very well. I thought I did too because I studied German at college and got a certificate. However, I'm now rubbish. I am quite enjoying learning Spanish. I gave it a go the other week whilst in Barcelona and low and behold they understood me. Was quite proud of myself, I was
Well done Myra you have every reason to be proud.

We have never been abroad, cant get hubby to go, but we do have some lovely holidays in the Channel Isles, we go every couple of years in between if we go its to the east coast of Yorkshire.
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 07:19 PM

I only holiday in America but do find it hard at times for them to understand me.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2015, 09:58 PM

I went to India to attend a wedding and stayed with the bridegroom's family who not only did not speak English but who had never accommodated a non-indian guest before. Had been to University evening classes - well in advance - to learn some Hindi and the family were delighted.

There were some children at the wedding ceremony, which helped, as they learned English in school and were pleased to be asked to correct my fractured Hindi.

Stayed there for 6 week and had so much fun!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top