Join for free
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2016, 08:16 PM

Aunty Mary's Dumplings

Preface

In the 40’s / 50’s Rochdale, Lancs, was a lovely, friendly old Market Town that once manufactured Wool and Cotton and provided thousands of local people their livelihood. Situated at the foot of the Pennines on the River Roch.
It is mentioned in the Doomsday Book
If you walked down the Street in that era everyone said “Hello” and looked pleased to see you.
Lovely little old men who had worked hard all their lives in the mills used to doff their caps as well, and when they saw pretty women would say, “Eh! I wish I was ten years younger”
And in the very cold, wet Northern weather “ By Gum It’s a stiff un’ tonight” as they were on the way to the Pub for their nightly treat, A pint of Best Bitter.
The Gothic Town Hall one of the finest examples in the UK. It is said that it was so admired Adolf Hitler that he wanted to ship it stone by stone, back to Nazi Germany
Sadly, it is now totally different. The Old Mills went ages ago with a few remaining. And now more than 50% of the population are immigrants, who have integrated nicely. There is also and there is much unemployment as well.

AUNTY MARY’S DUMPLINGS

“Oh, Oh… The big Ship sailed through the alley alley O, the alley alley O. The big Ship sailed to the bottom of the sea, eh, ay, bottom of the sea”. We were skipping, and I was in the middle with two friends turning the skipping rope. We were playing in the Street quite safely,as there were very few vehicles about. And if they did venture down the Street, they would always slow down for children. Also, all Mothers looked out for the children. Including their own. Net curtains were constantly moved as Mothers kept an eagle eye on children playing in the Street. . Suddenly, there was a shout! It was Mother calling, “Come on now, time to go”
We were off to Rochdale Market a busy, bustling place and a social meeting place where one caught up ‘with local gossip and scandal’. “ You know who she’s run off with”?
That big long drink of water who worked on the Buses …Never”
“I want to call at the Allotments first, ” said Mother. The Allotments were on the other side of the River Roch connected by a small Bridge. Mother chose not to traverse the Bridge and yelled “Jack” have you got a nice Cabbage and some Onions for me” “Ay when do you want them” “On the way back. Are they fresh? She asked. “As fresh as you are” he replied. "Cheeky Monkey” she murmured’"
You can stay at Aunty Mary’s, Don’t eat anything, ” she said, looking at me, and as usual, she did not wait for a reply, but carried on talking… “Have you seen that kitchen? .That floor has not been cleaned for ages”. When they move into the New Council House I’m sure she will keep the coal in the bath”. Aunt Mary’s house was the last house standing and practically falling down. She was a very overweight lady with a Smiling Face and Rosy Cheeks and walked very slowly, She a few health problems and she told me ‘she had “Arthuritis2 “No.” said Mother say ‘Arthritis’... Aunty lived with Uncle Tom and Uncle Frank his brother who both worked hard in Turner’s Asbestos Mill. And they both smoked Woodbines. “Keeps the germs away” they said.

They also had a small Ice Cream manufacturing business which they ran at the weekend. All churned by hand ,made with eggs, cream, and sugar This was in premises away from the house, The Cornets were hand made too with eggs sugar and flour. This was formed into a batter and cooked in the oven till brown, then taken out and rolled round a cylinder to shape it. They were so delicious
They always sold out and this was their way of earning extra money for their retirement.

Uncle Tom had Bow Legs as he had Rickets as a Child, and some children called him “Bandy… I loved them all. They were no relation to me , but really old family friends, and I had to refer to them as Aunty and Uncle: On entering the House there was a ‘delicious aroma of Home Cooking’. Aunty Mary liked to cook as it did not involve too much walking.. They all greeted me warmly and Mother always brought a gift of food for them. “Think on, and be a good girl, ” said Mother.” She is always good” said Uncle Tom. “I’ll be back in two hours, ” said Mother “Bye Sweatheart.”

The table was already set. “Now Sweetheart, would you like to try some dumplings asked Aunty? Ignoring the Mother’s advice, and as my eyes were bigger than my belly, I said “Yes please” beaming at her. ‘The state of her kitchen floor was no concern of mine’.
But I did notice that the kitchen table was well scrubbed . She brought in a steaming dish of rich Stew with Huge Dumpling and vegetables. “You can manage two, can’t you love?” “Yes, ” I agreed and we all ate, with such pleasure. “Now Precious,”.. Said Aunty, “Would you like one with syrup on”? “Course she would, ” said Uncle Frank, “And custard”? Well, I thought I was in heaven, as at home we were not allowed such stodgy food made with suet.. No!
“Aunty, when you go to your New House, Are you going to keep the coal in the bath? I enquired. .. “Well, I won’t even be able to get upstairs with my legs never mind carry the coal up. We all laughed, and then.. Uncle Frank got up from the table, picked up a newspaper and disappeared out of the back door. “He’ll be like a Pig in……”...And before Uncle Tom had completed the sentence, Aunty said reproachfully “Now! That’s enough” and Uncle Tom, looking in my direction, he said….” in clover”… “Why have you got a Pig outside”? I demanded to know “Take no notice of him, ” said Aunty Mary, “He is just being silly”
“We won.t be here much longer I don’t want to move, I like it here”, she said sadly. “Will you come and see me in my New House love”? Of course I will I said., I thought “Where else could I get delicious Dumplings”?

Mother returned with lots of bags, and gave some to Aunty, and then we said Goodbye, and I kissed Aunty Mary “Aren’t you giving me a kiss as well” said Uncle Tom. “No” Youv’e got prickly whiskers, they scratch my face. “Quite right, ” said Aunty Mary and with a promise to call and see them at their New Home, we left.

On the way home Mother said “You didn’t eat anything did you? I did not answer I kept quiet! “Mummy” I said. “Aunty Mary is not going to keep the coal in the bath, she can’t walk up stairs” “Oh No” she said in a shocked voice “You didn’t tell her I said that!! . Did you”? … I did not reply… If she knew I had eaten there!!! I dared not think of the consequences.

Later, we did go to see the New Posh House and they all looked out of place. Aunty Mary looked so sad and slept downstairs, spending more and more time in bed. Then one day Uncle Frank called and said she was in the Hospital. “You never come out of those places alive, ” said he, which was true in Aunty Mary’s case! She died within a few days. Mother said “I’m sure moving House killed her, she didn’t want to go” We were all upset and I cried, I really loved her, as well as her delicious Dumplings.

FROM “A ROCHDALE CHILDHOOD”
BY
PHILOMENA
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2016, 01:23 AM

Re: Aunty Mary's Dumplings

Magic Azure, im time warping back to my childhood. Whats needed are some Lowry like paintings by you to set the scene off.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2016, 09:56 PM

[QUOTE=Nom;944079]Magic Azure, im time warping back to my childhood. Whats needed are some Lowry like paintings by you to set the scene off. [/QUOTE

Thank you Nom

If i was as talented as Lowry i would be well away.
.Of course he did many other paintings besides Match Stick Men.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2016, 01:29 PM

Those were the days, I'd watch me Granny mixing ingredients in a big cream and white delph bowl for what seemed like hours, every now and then she'd stick a bit of flour on me face and laugh. The folks always seemed to be more open and friendlier back in those days, ah well time marches on but thankfully the good memories stay with us.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2016, 05:14 PM

[QUOTE=Azure;944628]
Originally Posted by Nom ->
Magic Azure, im time warping back to my childhood. Whats needed are some Lowry like paintings by you to set the scene off. [/QUOTE

Thank you Nom

If i was as talented as Lowry i would be well away.
.Of course he did many other paintings besides Match Stick Men.

Yes i know he painted and sketched in my area, and ive been lucky to see quite a few.

Loving the storys. :0

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top