Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2011, 09:29 AM

Re: Change to combi-boiler?

We had a Glow Worm condensing boiler fitted around five years ago, which cut our gas usage by around 30%. It is serviced every year on a contract which then guarantees the whole central heating/water system for the next twelve months. The only problem that we've ever had was last December when the small outlet pipe froze outside. We live in a hard water area but I haven't been told that it's a problem, but with the system being under contract it shouldn't be my problem!
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by maryl ->
We've had two combi boilers over ten years. Our water is very hard which clogs up the system and we found that the heat exchanger is quite expensive to replace. They replaced it once under the guarantee but not the second time it clogged up so we had to buy the new boiler. So maybe check the guarantee for heat exchanger replacements if your water is hard.
First its a good idea to have one of these fitted to the incoming main.

http://www.scalemaster.co.uk/

Second is to pick a GOOD combi boiler.

My choice is the Vailant combi or conventinal.

My combi was installed 20 years and only had to change a diverter valve.. cost £89.

Boiler never been serviced.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2011, 12:35 PM

You are right, we did not have our first boiler adequately insured. When the second was fitted, they did something called a 'flush' with some sort of chemical, this took a couple of hours or more. Apparently they could tell this was not done on the sysstem when the first was installed. We are well covered now for any eventualities.
Elbee
Chichester
Elbee is male  Elbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2011, 10:33 AM

I agree with John, it is essentail to take out breakdown insurance with modern boilers.

Condensing Boilers breakdown more often than older designs and are more expensive to repair.

Combi boilers have a short life span as they scale up particularly in hard watrer areas.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 12:46 AM

Don't get a combi boiler if the house has microbore pipes get a condensing boiler instead.

I was advised that a combi boiler could burst microbore piping and if that is behind walls you could be in big trouble.

I wanted a combi boiler but my plumber said if I wanted that then it would be best to replace all the central heating pipes to normal size.
In our previous place we had a combi boiler and it was great- heat on demand more or less and no big water tanks taking up space
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
We had a Worcester Bosch Condensing boiler fitted in 2005 so it's roughly 6 years old now. We haven't had any problems at all with it and we've only had it serviced twice (I know they should be serviced every year)

We get plenty of continuous hot water and I think it's one of the best changes we ever made.
I too have a WB boiler, it came with a 5 year warranty so I have to ensure it's serviced yearly. I have to say initially it scared me to death! there are lots of pipes underneath the boiler and to top up the pressure I have to turn 2 of them very slowly otherwise hot water will spurt out!

I'll have to get it boxed in at some point as it's quite unsightly, it certainly wasn't what I expected, I just wanted an unobtrusive boiler but I find it an eyesore because of all the pipework on view, other types are really streamlined and can be used in the kitchen with no pipework visible, unfortunately mine had to be sited in the spare bedroom, the installation company have a good reputation but I've found they haven't secured the floorboards so I'll have to take up the carpet and see how slapdash their work was, not looking forward to finding out
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2014, 02:55 PM

It maybe worth mentioning.
Anyone installing a Combi should be made aware that some old central heating systems piping can have a few hiccups especially when they were installed with a tank. Most old tanks are gravity and a Combi is pressure. So immediately the old joints may start to leak and if they are under concrete you will never notice them but your Combi will lose pressure.
I wasn't made aware of this by the cowboy that installed mine some years ago and I had a winter of misery.
In my previous homes in London I had installed Combi's and because the homes had pumps already installed alongside the tanks there was no problems.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2014, 06:10 PM

We looked at changing the boiler, and although running costs are lower, if one amortises the total cost of boiler and installation, it's going to be about 10+ years before you break even. A matrix replacement cost £500 so I am told. Avoid BG.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2014, 06:27 PM

I ripped out the immersion heater and tank circa 10 years ago and installed a Mistral combi-boiler. The tank in the garden was the only real difficult thing to get correctly placed. It was arguably one of the best moves I've made. This was a disregarded old property that hadn't been occupied for 9 years,at the time. I put in 8 radiators around the place [it's an old bungalow] and was able to get all kitchen plumbing onto one wall. The radiators work off a thermostat set in the main room-but they can be turned off during warm months,so just the hot water is being supplied. As stated above,the hot water is constant-if a tap/the shower is on,then the water is hot for as long as it's required. Servicing is just a case of changing filters and checking for scale...which we don't have much trouble with out here as it's soft water. I'd recommend combi-boilers over electric or gas central heating and hot water supply every time.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 08:05 AM

A combi set up does not store hot water, which on one hand is quite efficient, but wastes a lot of water as the burner kicks in, I.E, if you just want to do some washing up, you need to run the hot tap for the equivalent of a bowl full of water just to get it running hot, could be a problem if on a water meter.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top