Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2018, 11:08 PM

Dead Battery Question

Ok, car experts I am curious about something:

My car had Monday-itis with a dead battery this morning. Cause unknown.

(Side note, I remember my dad teaching me how to jumpstart a car when I was about eight, and my mother calling out not to get my ballet dress dirty ).

Anyhow, it was sluggish to jump (thank heaven for portable battery chargers) but it did, so off I drove.

Now on the thirty minute drive, I knew that the battery, save some other problem like the alternator or alternator belt, would recharge, but I had no idea whether or not that was the case.

So, instead of heading to the trails to run, I went home instead, fearing that the battery might not have recharged enough for it to sit for a while before I started it back up again.

Why in this day of high-tech gear don't cars have a voltmeter or some way for me to see how much current there is, how much the battery is charged (with the hood down), etc.?

Or am I ignorant and missing something? (It's ok to laugh).
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2018, 11:13 PM

Re: Dead Battery Question

How old is the battery? and the car come to that. If it is not the battery and sluggish to start, it could be the starter motor is wearing out.

The alternator may not be putting enough charge into the battery, then it is that causing the problem.

It could be just down to a worn fan belt failing to turn the alternator pulley enough and just slipping.

A battery is 12 volts but to charge and keep it charged the alternator should be putting out something like 14.2 volts or near enough

Then again there might well be something causing a battery drain even when the ignition is off.

The only way to tell in your case is to take it to a garage and ask them to test both. or get a mobile mechanic to check it out at home

It is impossible to say definately it is this or that on a forum.
You could go out and buy test equipment and learn how to use it but that would be more expensive and still not solve the problem
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2018, 11:26 PM

I understand that there could be multiple causes and will be getting right on that. This car is a 2014 Acura TSX wagon with tech pkg (lot o'gauges, GPS, popcorn maker, junk I don't need, etc.)

I just don't understand why with all of the gauges and indicators that new cars have why there aren't indicators of charge, current, etc. other than a light that goes on when there is a problem.

Perhaps I am asking for too much?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2018, 11:35 PM

Older cars in the UK used to have dials showing charge or discharge but modern cars don't.
Things like heating -air conditioning -heated seats and steering wheel -dashcams- Sat navs- stopstart etc etc all are taking power from the battery.

batteries have a limited shelf life, usually around 3 years and some with guarantee up to 5 years.

My Nissan Xtrail Tekna is the same year as yours and I have noticed my battery isn't staying fully charged ,but that is mainly down to short journeys, so the alternator has not had long enough to fully charge it up

If it is a battery problem make sure you get one that is right for your car irrespective of battery make.

Cars with Stop/start need a different type of battery called an AGM battery. You can look it up on google

If you do have an AGM battery and want to charge it up at home you will need an AGM battery charger

something like this, very easy to use
just press the button until the car and AGM light up and that is it. Does ordinary and other motor batteries

you would have to look up stockest in he USA of course

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/28279167975...4959912&crdt=0
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

22-01-2018, 11:53 PM

Yes, suspecting battery wear at this point.

We too had indicators of charge in cars years ago, discharge, and that's why I am scratching my head a bit on why they would abandon what seems like some fairly important gauges.

I knew about the power draw, and that's why my daughter and I drove this morning looking like the scene Apollo 13 in which the astonauts had shut down everything but oxygen: cold, sick, breath frozen in the car, my head outside in the rain for fear of using the wipers.....

A little exaggerated but you get the idea.

Thanks!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

22-01-2018, 11:54 PM

video of that charger. the best home charger I have come across. Not the cheapest but I think every car owner should invest in one. I have left mine on in the garage and the maintence charge does the rest after charging up. The recon feature sounds good on it but not used it yet

Hope this helps
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2018, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Ok, car experts I am curious about something:

My car had Monday-itis with a dead battery this morning. Cause unknown.

(Side note, I remember my dad teaching me how to jumpstart a car when I was about eight, and my mother calling out not to get my ballet dress dirty ).

Anyhow, it was sluggish to jump (thank heaven for portable battery chargers) but it did, so off I drove.

Now on the thirty minute drive, I knew that the battery, save some other problem like the alternator or alternator belt, would recharge, but I had no idea whether or not that was the case.

So, instead of heading to the trails to run, I went home instead, fearing that the battery might not have recharged enough for it to sit for a while before I started it back up again.

Why in this day of high-tech gear don't cars have a voltmeter or some way for me to see how much current there is, how much the battery is charged (with the hood down), etc.?

Or am I ignorant and missing something? (It's ok to laugh).
A 30 minute drive is not enough (or at best marginal) to put enough in a battery to replace what it used to start.

Cold is the biggest enemy of batteries, if they are going to fail it will be in winter. Short drives in a cold winter will discharge your battery. It never gets that cold where I live so I haven't had a battery that lasts less than 5 or 6 years at the worse.

If it is dodgy just put it on charge every time you are parked at home and especially over night. if it is just your usual lead accid battery then an El cheapo battery charger will do the job they all stop charging before your battery is damaged these days. If it is a manual car park facing down a hill

You can buy voltmeters to put in your cigarette lighter socket.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

23-01-2018, 04:30 AM

Realspeed, thank you for the info and the video. I have a good Black and Decker charger that I used this morning, but I didn't know about the reconditioning feature. After reading the manual, I understand that thoroughly. You are right - no one should be without a good charger.

Bruce, you are spot on about the cold; all of this started when the temps dropped and it could well be a factor.

I am so glad you suggested keeping the battery charger on overnight; I would have been incorrectly concerned about the possibility of overcharging and damage that you mentioned.

It was also instructional to know that voltmeters are sold that go into the charge outlet. Probably not a bad thing to have one when there are electrical concerns. I guess I am nerdy that way.

Thank you both very, very much. This has been a very good learning experience for me! Good things to pass on to the women in your life and the ladies here too.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2018, 09:51 AM

My husband bought a thing from one of the shopping channels a few years ago that you clip onto the battery terminal and it tells you how much charge you have. It appears to be quite good, I've not seen them anywhere else though.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2018, 12:46 PM

Although cars no longer have dials for charge rate, they usually have a warning light to show any significant fall in the charge rate from the Alternator, or a fan belt failure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top