Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 01:30 PM

Re: Fresh vegetables

Originally Posted by Missy ->
The only canned stuff is corn, tomatoes and beans of all discriptions as life is too short to soak beans

The only frozen veg I buy are peas, corn, garlic, ginger and chillies. And I buy frozen berries

The rest is fresh

My fridge seems to keep Veg useable for weeks. I often stock up on the special offers in Lidl and still be using them up long after the sell by or BB date. Only the other week I made soup with a butternut squash I bought back in November

I store potatoes and onions in a dark cool cupboard and they also last for ages. If I buy a sack of spuds they go in the garage

Celery lasts longer if you wrap it in tin foil. Carrots last for ages if you remove them from the plastic bag and dry them off then place in the salad drawer on kitchen towel

Having chickens and ducks we have very little veg waste. They love the peelings ( boiled up) and left overs from the plates. Only thing they don't eat is anything from the onion family.
That's interesting

I've known about cool & dark storage for years; when i was a boy our houses weren't centrally heated and Mum kept fruit & veg in larders, pantries, & odd corners - a sack of spuds next to the back door; apples under the bed, and so on

But now I live in a centrally heated flat and there is only a small rack in the kitchen, or the fridge

Or that's what I thought till just now

I've realised that I have a meter cupboard downstairs, about the size of a wardrobe, and that is cold & dark
At the moment I just use it for a few tools & other junk, but I think I'll tidy it out and rig up some kind of hanging rack or basket
There is both a LIDL and a decent greengrocer close to me, I'll use them more

Thanks for the inspiration MISSY

I've tried frozen fruit but it tends to be mushy; still I don't suppose it'll make much difference when I stir it into homemade muesli

I didn't know you could get frozen garlic etc, I'll look out for them
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
That's interesting

I've known about cool & dark storage for years; when i was a boy our houses weren't centrally heated and Mum kept fruit & veg in larders, pantries, & odd corners - a sack of spuds next to the back door; apples under the bed, and so on

But now I live in a centrally heated flat and there is only a small rack in the kitchen, or the fridge

Or that's what I thought till just now

I've realised that I have a meter cupboard downstairs, about the size of a wardrobe, and that is cold & dark
At the moment I just use it for a few tools & other junk, but I think I'll tidy it out and rig up some kind of hanging rack or basket
There is both a LIDL and a decent greengrocer close to me, I'll use them more

Thanks for the inspiration MISSY

I've tried frozen fruit but it tends to be mushy; still I don't suppose it'll make much difference when I stir it into homemade muesli

I didn't know you could get frozen garlic etc, I'll look out for them

Frozen berries are just brilliant for breakfast porridge or muesli and yoghurts. Even on a pavlova. I buy mine from lidl , it's a good mix and a lot cheaper then buying a wee punnet of blueberries or raspberries at £2 or £3 a pop

Centrally heated kitchens are lovely, but not brill for food storage. I'm a tight wad and keep my kitchen on the cool side, it gets warm enough when the oven is on

The frozen garlic etc is expensive compared to fresh, but for me it's about convenience, it's always at hand ready to go
You can even get frozen onions if you only need to use a small amount for just one dish. Once again, dearer then fresh, but no waste
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 02:11 PM

Right. I've had a quick inspection of my meter cupboard, and a quick Google

Apart from a toolbox all the junk in the cupboard is just, well.... junk; simply kept because there's somewhere to keep it, so it can all go

A 3 tier hanging wire basket is about £10
And I'll also have room for a WINE RACK!

Within a short drive there are Lidl, ASDA, Tesco, Sainsbury, Iceland, and Farm Foods. I'll pay more attention to their frozen food in future
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I buy big box of mushrooms and freeze them myself.
Julie, how do you freeze mushrooms? Like, I mean how do you prepare them for the freezer. Are they just used for cooking after that?

This is interesting, I have never heard of it. I would like to try it.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
I just can't bring myself to buy 2 carrots as that's embarrassing and immediately marks me out as being a sad, lonely old man - which I'm not of course
I just zap it all with a stick blender and it all turns into veg soup

But recently I've been buying a lot of frozen veg. I've seen in books & TV programmes that they are as good, if not better, nutritionally as fresh since they are processed & frozen within a very short time from harvesting, and haven't been deteriorating whilst lying around in shops, warehouses or your veg rack; you just take what you need
It also works out cheaper in the long run

I like avocados, and have noticed that Iceland have frozen avocados, but I haven't bought any yet as my freezer is full
I buy two or three carrots. I hate buying more if I can't use them up.
Hey zuludog, that is a good idea for veg soup. I must try that.
I love avocados, sometimes I put a squeeze of lime on them......or I can eat them just plane. Delicious. Full of good fats..
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

18-02-2018, 03:01 PM

Thanks for all the informative replies here.
Beautiful Filly
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 04:33 PM

I usually buy fresh when in season...but, most of the time I buy frozen veggies...with the exception of canned corn, tomatoes and beans, for dinner, stews or soup...

I try to make baked beans at least once a year using my mum's recipe and they are well worth the time and effort. Like the rest of you I usually forget to soak the beans over night...so it takes me a few days to remember to do it...then we're off to the races...

I live alone now...so I don't purchase as much as I use to. One day my son did my shopping for me...and I had a bunch of carrots on my list. He enjoys a good bargain...so he bought me 10 pounds of carrots......I kept about one pound of them and told him to treat the horses to the rest...

I would never make a salad without fresh...my fridge keeps things pretty fresh for about a week/week 1/2...
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

18-02-2018, 04:36 PM

Oh Filly, I was so happy to see you on here. I hope you are feeling better, I know you have been under the weather.....

It is a beautiful Sunday, think I will go out this afternoon...

Sorry to go off topic folks.

I will say, I would like to try soaking beans. My mom did that in the old days and her baked beans in the oven, were to die for...YUM
Beautiful Filly
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 04:41 PM

Hi Blue and Good morning...I am feeling better today and I have a visitor with me this AM...I do too (Puss-Cat).

We should compare our mum's recipes for Baked Beans I bet they're very similar...
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

18-02-2018, 04:43 PM

Yes, I will bring my mom's baked bean recipe, I just have to find it first, and that is a task in itself.

Puss Cat, oh how exciting. Love to all of you....

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top