Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 07:22 PM

Mad Scientists at it again

Did anyone else read in the papers about Scientists now working on creating Sheep which can donate organs to humans?
They reckon this concept will be available within the next 10 years.

There will be genetically modicied embryos which will then be injected with hujman stem cells.
Their first aim is to produce a sheep who has a human pancreas inside it, all ready for donating.
They will stop the sheep having a normal sheep pancreas, and make it grow a human one instead.

'Pro-Life' campaigners and the U.S. Catholic church are apparently strongly against this and fear scientists will create an animal-human hybrid species.

A Doctor Nakauchi has said how he already has injected pluripotent stem cells - which can become any organ - from a human into the embryos of sheep which have been genetically modified not to produce a pancreas.

If this is successful, it will lead to other large animals being able to grow organs such as the heart, liver and lungs.

Personally, I think these experiments terrifying, and I really hate the thought of animals being used and abused in such a way.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 07:27 PM

Re: Mad Scientists at it again

I thought they were doing that with pigs already.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I thought they were doing that with pigs already.

I didn't know that Summer, are they really?

I believe they have used some pig organs for transplants, but from I understood, this is not allowing the animal to ever develop it's own organs in the first place. They will be made to grow human organs inside them instead.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Did anyone else read in the papers about Scientists now working on creating Sheep which can donate organs to humans?
They reckon this concept will be available within the next 10 years.

There will be genetically modicied embryos which will then be injected with hujman stem cells.
Their first aim is to produce a sheep who has a human pancreas inside it, all ready for donating.
They will stop the sheep having a normal sheep pancreas, and make it grow a human one instead.

'Pro-Life' campaigners and the U.S. Catholic church are apparently strongly against this and fear scientists will create an animal-human hybrid species.

A Doctor Nakauchi has said how he already has injected pluripotent stem cells - which can become any organ - from a human into the embryos of sheep which have been genetically modified not to produce a pancreas.

If this is successful, it will lead to other large animals being able to grow organs such as the heart, liver and lungs.

Personally, I think these experiments terrifying, and I really hate the thought of animals being used and abused in such a way.
We eat animals, so I have no problem whatsoever with using them for medical experimentation.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 07:32 PM

I am with you all the way on this Mups! I find it offensive that they will create a life to kill, so it can save another life.

We all have to die at some time and organ failure is our bodies way of telling us when.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I am with you all the way on this Mups! I find it offensive that they will create a life to kill, so it can save another life.

We all have to die at some time and organ failure is our bodies way of telling us when.
That is done all the time when they are bred for food.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 08:03 PM

Well if are all going to forced to be meat free, then maybe the sheep will still have a role, I don’t like the idea or the picture I see in my mind, but if it saves a child, or the life of another, then regrettably I am for it.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Well if are all going to forced to be meat free, then maybe the sheep will still have a role, I don’t like the idea or the picture I see in my mind, but if it saves a child, or the life of another, then regrettably I am for it.
Have to agree.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I am well aware of that, but we all need food to live. I just don't think we should be using live creatures to provide spare parts for humans.
I know you have a different point of view, but my opinion is that every life is important!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 08:11 PM

I hate the idea that an animal dies for the food we eat but we are natural carnivores' and its nature I suppose. As far as using animals for their organs I agree if it saves a life I agree, regrettably.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top