Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 09:51 AM

Re: Pork

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Why do you feed your dogs on Quorn Julie?
Only occasional bite if there's a bit of shepherds pie left, they have tinned butchers brand for their main meal. I'm just not throwing food away if they'll goggle it up.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
lol it's not me saying it, its the CPSI !!!

It's no worse than mechanically recovered meat IMO

No-one said you couldn't eat what you want.

Why so defensive?
Well stop attacking me I might stop myself. If you just accepted other people live differently it might be better, what tv I watch had nothing to do with pork in any shape or form, how many dogs I have ? What's that about ? All attacking, calling me naive another attack. Just accept it was a funny story happened to us that I thought might make people laugh or think yuk. It didn't need dissecting ruminating over and pages of long script about my buying habits.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Only occasional bite if there's a bit of shepherds pie left, they have tinned butchers brand for their main meal. I'm just not throwing food away if they'll goggle it up.
Makes sense Julie. My dogs get some of what we have spare as well. I just thought you went to the expense of buying Quorn for your dogs and I don't know anyone who feeds their dogs on it.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 11:02 AM

I do wonder what is in some supermarket pork. I rarely eat it but there was a point after I stopped being veggie but I could not bring myself to eat pork and I didn't have any for years. It seems a rough meat compared to others. Do they pump it full of antibiotics? Strange about tumours though because the animals don't live that long you'd think they don't have time to develop tumours.

I don't think quorn is that healthy though, just a feeling after eating it. I have no proof but I'd say lentils and chickpeas are a better protein fill.

I think shops should have to show what medicines have been pumped into our meat and what they've been reared on.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 09:09 PM

Well stop attacking me I might stop myself.
No-one is attacking you. We are simply debating various topics that have been raised in the thread.

If you just accepted other people live differently it might be better
That has nothing to do with the thread. If you are going to put your views out there on a forum then others will make comment on them. If you would rather they wouldn't then TBH forums aren't for you.

what tv I watch had nothing to do with pork in any shape or form, how many dogs I have ? What's that about ?
It was about the issue being discussed which was the important of buying food of good provenance which you said you couldn't afford and that you choose crap supermarket fare because of the cheaper price. I therefore highlighted that you are making a life choice and keeping 2 dogs in a decent lifestyle means you are spending money there instead of using that money to buy better quality food. My point is entirely valid.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 09:20 PM

I am surprised at this thread because cancers in pigs are quite rare the reason being that most pigs bred for food don't live long enough to develop cancers.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

24-02-2018, 10:04 PM

No-one is attacking you. We are simply debating various topics that have been raised in the thread.

That has nothing to do with the thread. If you are going to put your views out there on a forum then others will make comment on them. If you would rather they wouldn't then TBH forums aren't for you.

It was about the issue being discussed which was the important of buying food of good provenance which you said you couldn't afford and that you choose crap supermarket fare because of the cheaper price. I therefore highlighted that you are making a life choice and keeping 2 dogs in a decent lifestyle means you are spending money there instead of using that money to buy better quality food. My point is entirely valid.
My decent lifestyle includes dogs it would be a miserable affair without them.

I can't afford wasting money on overly priced meat, I think my family would think I'd gone stark staring mad if I paid some of the prices asked in butchers shops.

Supermarket fayre isn't crap, it's just cheaper end of the market where most people earn £7.50 an hour shop.

I love tesco they are cheap and cheerful and don't judge if I prefer to buy a packet of garibaldi biscuits rather than expensive cookies. I've never shopped anywhere but supermarkets and we all live fairly well IMO
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 10:09 PM

Since when do supermarkets judge people on what biscuits they buy?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2018, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I do wonder what is in some supermarket pork. I rarely eat it but there was a point after I stopped being veggie but I could not bring myself to eat pork and I didn't have any for years. It seems a rough meat compared to others. Do they pump it full of antibiotics? Strange about tumours though because the animals don't live that long you'd think they don't have time to develop tumours.

I don't think quorn is that healthy though, just a feeling after eating it. I have no proof but I'd say lentils and chickpeas are a better protein fill.

I think shops should have to show what medicines have been pumped into our meat and what they've been reared on.

Good point Annie, but I don't know how shops would have a clue as to what/if any, medicines had gone into the animals.
They just buy meat, they don't rear it.

A lot of animal medicines have 'withdrawal times' which should be obeyed if the animals or their produce (e.g. milk, eggs,)etc. are used/sold for human consumption.
I am not convinced all farmers adhere to this.

I would think this was part of the government meat inspectors job to inspect at the abbatoirs, but I am talking about the past. I do not know the current legislations.

It's the same with animals with certain diseases should be culled, but I have heard cases where they are shipped off to the slaughter house quickly before the illness becomes too apparent, so the farmer doesn't lose money!

Makes you wonder about years ago when they used to caponise male chickens. They didn't physically castrate them as their testicles are internal, not external, so it was done chemically. Then we ate the meat!

I am out of touch with these things now, but I do believe a lot goes on at the farm or abbatoir long before meat reaches the shops, so I am not rreally sure how a shop could label this.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2018, 12:02 AM

You really don't get how people value their four legged companions do you Realist.

Some people will go without themself to keep their dogs happy and healthy.
I am guessing this is not for you, but maybe you should accept a dog is like a lifeline to some people, and we have no right to jude.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top