Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
effingpot
Hampshire, UK
effingpot is male  effingpot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 07:41 PM

Suggestions Please - prep ahead finger food

I got a "wine tasting in a box" for Christmas. Someone will show up at my house and take me and 5 friends around the world in wine!

I'm plan to prepare finger food or canapes or snacky type things and really struggling to come up with ideas. I have a vegetarian who eats no meat or fish to think about too!

I want things I can prep in advance so I don't spend too much time in the kitchen. Current thoughts are:

1. Brushetta (boring and old fashioned)
  2. Blinis with salmon and cream cheese (also a bit boring, but requested)
  3. Something with tomatoes, basil leave and mozzarella
  4. Homemade hummus and pitta chips
  5. Chicken satay
  6. Homemade guacamole, salse and tortilla chips

Any suggestions welcome
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 09:58 PM

Re: Suggestions Please - prep ahead finger food

Put 'Celery and Crème Cheese ' into your search engine.

A few different ideas come up. Most take about 10 mins to make. It depends upon what flavourings you want. I used to mix chopped walnuts into the crème cheese , without any seasoning. Of course not everyone likes nuts, but do some plain sprinkles with a bit of pepper .
Might look more presentable if you use a piping syringe.

Ingredients
Serves: 16
225g cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons soured cream
30g chopped walnuts
20 green olives, chopped
1 bunch celery, cut into bite-size pieces

Method
Prep:15min › Ready in:15min
1.In a medium bowl, mix together the cream cheese and soured cream. Stir in the walnuts and chopped olives. Spread filling onto the celery pieces. It's also good on crackers.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 10:08 PM

Filo pastry is quite good you can put almost any filling into it and make it what ever size you want. From sweet to savoury.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 10:14 PM

Effingpot
I love that name btw!

If you type "simple amuse bouche"
Or "simple veggie amuse bouche" in to Google or similar search engine it comes up with hundreds upon hundreds of ideas that are simple to make (on the whole!) but will seriously impress your friends. You may need a cocktail stick or two for some and do ignore the more pretentious looking ones served on ceramic spoons and things of that ilk!
I did loads for a Christmas bash recently and boy do they disappear and so no waste either!
effingpot
Hampshire, UK
effingpot is male  effingpot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 10:17 PM

Thanks for those.
BTW whilst hunting for my tomato and basil and mozz idea look what I found!!!

Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Filo pastry is quite good you can put almost any filling into it and make it what ever size you want. From sweet to savoury.
Good tip Julie...frozen filo is brilliant for savoury veggie bites

Tortilla wraps filled and cut in to small diagonal bitesizes is another good one
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2018, 10:23 PM

Cheese Straws. (buy them) !

Olives (don't forget the cocktail sticks)

Sandwiches (triangles) OR ..If you are near a Marks and Spencer you can order from them and collect them, so long as you order in enough time.
Sandwich platters. Probably works out cheaper than buying all the stuff to go in them.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales

21-02-2018, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by effingpot ->
Thanks for those.
BTW whilst hunting for my tomato and basil and mozz idea look what I found!!!

Aww...i wouldn't want to eat them!
effingpot
Hampshire, UK

21-02-2018, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Effingpot
I love that name btw!
Thank you - the name comes from here (it's not actually meant to be rude, as some folks assume). Sadly Mrs Effingpot died 12 years ago but her legacy lives on!

The recipe ideas are all great. Gonna be spoilt for choice but please keep them coming
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales

21-02-2018, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by effingpot ->
Thank you - the name comes from here (it's not actually meant to be rude, as some folks assume). Sadly Mrs Effingpot died 12 years ago but her legacy lives on!

The recipe ideas are all great. Gonna be spoilt for choice but please keep them coming
Ha that's such a funny story!
I have one American and one Canadian s-i-l
So I can understand that occasional language barrier

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top