Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2018, 07:17 PM

Re: Dilemna

Originally Posted by caricature ->
Soaked the plugs overnight with wd40,they came out easy apparently.car mot'd a couple of anti roll bars and that's it,ok for another twelve months,now let the chancellor do his worst in the budget next week.
Well done, good as new then...
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2018, 07:50 PM

Re: Dilemna

Years ago I had a job as a lorry driver's mate
On winter mornings, after it had been left standing overnight, I often had to spray an aerosol can of 'Easy Start' into the air intake to help it get started
My guess is that was some kind of low molecular weight petrol or petroleum ether
WD 40 will do the same sort of thing

It's still available, at around £4 a can - Bradex Easy Start, now seems to be part of Holts
It might be worth getting a can at that price, just in case
You will, of course, need two people - one to turn & hold down the key, and one to do the spraying
Spray & turn over the engine for a few seconds at a time

We used to deliver to a lot of garages & mechanics workshops.
One trick I've seen is to take out the glow plugs and heat them up with an oxy - acetylene torch then quickly screw them back into the engine.

You can improve the starting of any engine by scratching & scraping all the joints & terminals & smearing them with Copperslip or Vaseline
Also - When starting a car in cold weather, hold down the clutch pedal, even if you are in neutral. That way the starter motor only has to turn over the engine, and not the gearbox (with its thick oil) as well - every little helps

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top