Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
PScotland
New Member!
Glasgow
PScotland is male 

01-03-2018, 04:59 PM

CoHousing

Hello all I am new to the forums so I hope this is the correct place to post this, I have recently joined a CoHousing group in my local area that is pushing to have a 50+ CoHousing block built in Glasgow.

I am just wondering what is everyone's opinion on CoHousing? I feel the idea of living in one big community is very appealing in today's age where I feel frequently alienated from my surrounding neighbors.

Let me know your thoughts and opinions
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 06:55 PM

Re: CoHousing

Hmmm not sure, I think we would need more details about this co-housing. For instance, do you have your own separate space and join the remainder for meals in a common area???
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 07:12 PM

I'd not heard of it until today. But it sounds like a recipe for disaster if you fall out with someone. In the olden days you'd have village elders or officials to decide how to sort out disputes between people. Seems to be gaining in popularity though. I can see how it would work well in Denmark where it originated as they have a very collaborative culture.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 07:21 PM

Hi, PScotland. Welcome to the forum!

People who are madly in love have trouble enough living together permanently, let alone a bunch of strangers, without geting on each others' nerves soon or later .
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 08:09 PM

Hot bedding ???
PScotland
New Member!
Glasgow
PScotland is male 

01-03-2018, 09:37 PM

Hahah great to hear all your opinions! I see where use are coming from! The one I myself have looked at is [mod edit] if anyone was looking for some further information
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 10:04 PM

Having been a big brother fan for years co housing sounds like a recipe for a tv show and or a disaster
SamTheMan
Merseyside
SamTheMan is male  SamTheMan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2018, 11:42 PM

I've heard about people who have bought an apartment in those type of places, but struggled, and lost lots of money if they later decided to sell. Make sure that if you do decide to sell you can find your own buyer, and you don't have to sell to the building owner, at a price he offers.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2018, 03:01 PM

No Thanks, Would hate it..
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2018, 01:12 AM

I have for a while now concluded that Communes and communal living will grow rapidly.

Given that most young people can not afford a house and that paying rent is just money down a black hole, the only real solutions are either:

1. Living with mum and dad for years and years (not really desirable)

2. Living with others, sharing resources and buying a property together.

"Ordinary" houses won't be suitable for this the way they are laid out. They are designed for families.

However once demand ramps up I can envisage developers building purpose built houses and flats that form a commune. So with more en-suites or bathrooms but with shared lounge areas and kitchens and so on.

Living in such a community also provides strength in numbers and security in case the country falls into civil unrest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top