Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Malc.27
Pembroke U.K.
Malc.27 is male  Malc.27 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2018, 06:26 PM

T.P.S. Hopeless?

We have been registered with TPS since about 2001, however we still get unwanted calls... Yesterday I had a call , telling me that they could ban unwanted calls, he told me my name, address, postcode and tried to suggest that my bank card was due to expire,(which it isn't). We had a total of 3 calls from the same number yesterday, so I complained to TPS.
Today, I have received the following email from them....

2018-03-21

Dear Mr ******

Thank you for your complaint. Telephone Preference Service (TPS) and Corporate TPS (CTPS) are the free and only official opt out registers to stop receipt of live unsolicited direct marketing calls.

Please note that if your telephone number (residential, Sole Trader & Partnership) is registered with TPS there is no requirement to renew the registration as it will remain registered provided the line is active. A TPS registration will only cease upon the request of the consumer or if informed by the line service provider that the line is deemed inactive by them.

Business numbers (Ltd, PLC, large organisations) registered with CTPS require annual renewal, this is free and a renewal request is sent on the anniversary of the registration.

TPS is a free service for consumers wanting to register and we would never contact you in order to obtain payment. Please be aware of companies calling claiming to be TPS or BT asking for a fee to register/renew an expired or soon to expire TPS registration.

There are various companies offering services that they claim will stop unsolicited calls. TPS is not associated to any of these companies. They may be commercial companies offering services for which they charge a fee and some may be fraudulent.

TPS is concerned about such outfits misrepresenting our organisation and will collate and report misrepresentation to the appropriate regulatory bodies and will cooperate with Trading Standards and/or other agencies to investigate cases where such calls are fraudulent.

We advise you not to provide your bank or credit card details to anyone who calls you. If you continue to receive these types of calls, then I would encourage you to report them to your local Trading Standards office or the police.

Yours sincerely

Manager.

So, not very effective and when you complain (using their complaints procedure), They don't act on it!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2018, 06:40 PM

Re: T.P.S. Hopeless?

AS ex british telecom engineer these nuisance calls can avoid/slip past any restrictions , overseas ones slip the net any way. The best way is to have an aswerphone that also can block numbers. There are many different makes, we have Panasonic cordless phones with the blocking facility.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2018, 06:48 PM

Hi

I keep getting calls on my mobile for someone called Justin.

He obviously owes a lot of people a lot of money.

Blocking the calls has no effect, they just call from another number.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2018, 06:49 PM

I unplugged the phone and just use the mobile now

Easy to see where the call is coming from and to block the ones you don't want
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2018, 07:31 PM

mmm that was not very helpful Malc, he didn't actually answer the question.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2018, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
AS ex british telecom engineer these nuisance calls can avoid/slip past any restrictions , overseas ones slip the net any way. The best way is to have an aswerphone that also can block numbers. There are many different makes, we have Panasonic cordless phones with the blocking facility.

Tis true Realspeed. The TPS told me ages ago that they can't stop calls coming from abroad.
You'd have thought they'd have found a way to do that by now though, wouldn't you.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 12:03 AM

Helps to be ex directory. Phone coop let you do this fairly easily.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Helps to be ex directory. Phone coop let you do this fairly easily.

Yes, you're right Annie.
I've been ex-directory for a few years now, and get very little trouble (touch wood ).
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 06:06 AM

Once I realise it's just a scam call I put the phone down, I keep thinking they will get fed up calling me if I give them no feedback at all. It doesn't work though

Talk talk are the worst, every blinking day they ring me
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2018, 07:28 AM

I have just put on my answering machine (which is permanently on):
"Hello, I never answer this phone any more but you can leave a message after the tone and I will get back to you as soon as possible or you can call me on my mobile phone"
I have my phones registered on the Do Not Call register but that doesn't apply to charities or pollies (it works well for everything else). Because I regularly donate to a few charities I can only assume that they pass my phone number around so I have got to the stage where I am fed up with receiving calls from charities.

For some reason I never get charities call my mobile though pollies bombard me with text messages at election time. (I say "I" but everybody else gets the same too, of course) I also never give charities my mobile number.

Anyway that suits me now because I never use my land line for making calls but there are a few old people who refuse to call mobile phones so I have to keep it - I don't mind, it costs me nothing in rental or calls as it is a VOIP line with my old landline number.

BTW Charities or scammers never leave a message

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top