Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
sarah kay
kent
sarah kay is female  sarah kay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2018, 11:09 PM

Are you going to downsize?

Im still not sure what to do how about you have you are you going to downsize?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2018, 11:28 PM

Re: Are you going to downsize?

I need to, but not yet.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2018, 11:28 PM

It depends why you want to move really Sarah.

I moved from a really nice detached bungalow to a semi a few years back.
I didn't want to, I was happy where I was - nice big back garden where I kept a few of my best bantams, and my budgie aviary, plenty of room for the dogs etc, and lovely open views for miles behind me - but, the combination of the upkeep and the council tax was getting too much for me, so I had little choice but to look elsewhere.
No point in having a nice house with no money in the bank!

It is not ideal where I am now, but it'll do me, just wish I had more garden then I've got here.

I tried to get one of those static homes put in a field once, but couldn't get the necessary permission from the council. Probably not me best idea when I think about it now. Perhaps best not to be too remote and alone as we get older, and it would have lost it's value pretty quickly anyway, I imagine.

Ideally I would love the coast somewhere, but can't see it ever happening now.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2018, 11:43 PM

I would like to downsize preferably to somewhere nearer civilisation in case I am unable to drive.

The problem is the cost of moving would eat into the money I get from the sale of this house and it seems house with 2 bedrooms cost the same as this 3 bedroom so I am a bit stuck.
I have seen a perfect newly built bungalow in a small village near here with a local shop and public transport but I am just a couple of hundred thousand £ short
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 12:26 AM

We think about downsizing but if we do, it would the end of being a place where the family can gather, where there's room to stay for those who live abroad or in different parts of the country.

The children and grandchildren reckon we ought to stay put and just pay for household jobs to be done when I get too old to do them myself, which isn't yet. One the other hand, we should maybe make the move while I am still active. We're going to decide one way or the other in a couple of years.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 12:31 AM

No. We have a three bedroom semi and that's perfect for us.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 12:43 AM

I'm thinking we could do with buying something smaller, newer and more modern. Our house is 200 years old. Part of the upstairs still has concrete floors!

I'm reluctant though because we've lived here over 40 years - brought our kids up here - and I love it, can't bear to think of anybody else living here..
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 03:58 AM

Hi

I live in a big house in a small village.

Four beds and a dressing room to the master bedroom,a huge conservatory, five minutes walk from the fields.

There are however drawbacks, very limited Public Transport, only two shops etc.

I have been unable to drive for a while which has really brought it home to me.

I am down sizing quite radically.

A much smaller house, in a local market town, everything in walking distance, train station, library, coffee shops, supermarkets.

There will come a time when I am no longer able to drive on a permanent basis.

I am not going to be stuck here.

The money I will save will be substantial ,I will be off travelling.

A 3 bed semi or terrace will do me fine.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 04:57 AM

We downsized from a five bed house to a two bed barn conversion. I don't have regrets moving as this is a sweet little house, I would like to move again though. My list of wants would be different now I have lived in a smaller house...a bigger garden for one.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I'm thinking we could do with buying something smaller, newer and more modern. Our house is 200 years old. Part of the upstairs still has concrete floors!

I'm reluctant though because we've lived here over 40 years - brought our kids up here - and I love it, can't bear to think of anybody else living here..
Don't move it sounds lovely .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top