Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 03:57 PM

Jury Service

Have you ever been called upon to do It?
I was, only once so far and I was excused because I was in the middle of my Uni finals. It was something I wished I had done but circumstances didn't allow at the time.

My daughter has just received a letter. She's 21 and would need to go and stay in London, probably on her own, for anything up to 2 weeks as it's a criminal case.
She has booked a holiday with her boyfriend for the week following the start date so she wants to be excused! I wonder whether they would allow that. Does any one know?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 04:02 PM

Re: Jury Service

Hi Rhian

Yes they do sometimes excuse Jury service. My boss once got me excused because it was our busiest time at work but, it only gets postponed so you have to do it at another time.

I have done it twice actually and quite enjoyed it apart from all the sitting around waiting for the judge to have their breakfast, lunch or whatever. Sometimes they don't turn up at all.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 04:02 PM

I could be wrong but I think it used to be that a holiday (even already booked) was not a valid reason.

I was called up about 10 years ago and was excused on medical grounds. Whizzed the exemption form back quicker than Usain Bolt on speed. Mine was to be a criminal case too.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 04:03 PM

No thank goodness, just don"t fancy it. Although people have said they quite enjoyed their time.
Newcomer
Dorset
Newcomer is female  Newcomer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 04:04 PM

I would have thought that they would want a copy of the booking but apart from that it should be OK I would have thought. Only one way to find out.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 04:05 PM

Some info:

https://www.gov.uk/jury-service/dela...m-jury-service
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 04:05 PM

My husband was called on two occasions but managed to get out of it as he was a head teacher.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
No thank goodness, just don"t fancy it. Although people have said they quite enjoyed their time.
My step-dad really enjoyed himself. He felt quite the Poirot about it all.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 04:07 PM

yes i was called over 30 yr ago i made my excuse and was excused and not been asked again ,I wouldnt mind doing it now .
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Newcomer ->
I would have thought that they would want a copy of the booking but apart from that it should be OK I would have thought. Only one way to find out.
Yes she's going to ring them on Monday
Bless her she's a bit panicky but excited all at the same time

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top