Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 05:45 PM

Re: Jury Service

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Thats why I'm a bit concerned about my little chicken!
She looks as young and green as she is too!
Hopefully, the other jurors will look after her .....
SallyS
South East, UK
SallyS is female  SallyS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 06:14 PM

Ive been called twice for jury service, the first time I was excused because I’d just started a new job. The second time I was called to the Old Bailey, that was quite an experience.
SallyS
South East, UK
SallyS is female  SallyS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 06:16 PM

Thats why I'm a bit concerned about my little chicken!
She looks as young and green as she is too!
She will be with 11 other people, and doesn’t have to make a decision on her own.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by SallyS ->
She will be with 11 other people, and doesn’t have to make a decision on her own.
Quite true Sally thank you
And that's the whole point isn't it
That they are a good cross section of society
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2018, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Yes - I have done jury service - and found it very interesting - especially as I was elected foreman of the jury. It is a bit scary when you have to stand up and say guilty !
They tried to elect me as foreman the first time but I refused saying that I was only willing to give a 'Not guilty' verdict.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2018, 07:49 AM

Crikey
I bet it was
Originally Posted by Omah ->
Indeed it is .....

Absolutely EVERYONE in the courtroom is looking at you (
It was very scary - it went so quiet you could hear a pin drop and, as Omah said, everyone was staring - including the thoroughly nasty person in the dock! It was weeks before I stopped looking over my shoulder when out in town.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2018, 10:15 AM

Mine was at the Old Baily in 1973. I remember that the prosecuting counsel (state funded) was very bright but the three defending counsels (legal aid) were clearly rather dim. In the end a deal was made and we were just instructed to give the appropriate verdicts. The members of the jury spent a lot of time out of the court while various things were being hammered out.

In retrospect it was a curious experience.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2018, 02:00 PM

I did it last year. They asked me first in April which was my busiest month in work and they deferred it to December my least busy month.
It was an interesting drug case. He was guilty of both charges but the evidence in the first charge wasn't good enough.
It was 10-2 in the jury for about two hours before we reached a guilty verdict.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2018, 02:56 AM

Yes! Twice but excused both times due to medical circumstances.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2018, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Indeed it is .....

My experience was mostly "enjoyable", but other jurors sat on cases of murder or rape, ugly and unpleasant, even emotionally upsetting .....
I have been called up 3 times 2 times at Snaresbrook and once at the old Bailey.

Sat on about 7 juries in that time...BUT

3 of them were about sexual abuses of young teen girls 2 by their Fathers and the last one that turn my guts was a rape of a 16 year old girl by an 55 year old man and the girls Mother helping him to rape her....he got ten years for the rape...she was also charge with rape and got 7 years.

The last one did upset me badly and my daughter remarked that I came home looking Ashen.

What sickened me more was the fact that after we had found these two guilty and the sentence was to be announced the defence or prosecution stated that the Judge should deferred because in two weeks time the girls brother was to stand trial for raping her as well.

sorry spell checker not working

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top