Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2017, 10:12 AM

Re: Allow Cookies, Yes or No

For those who use Facebook, here's some info on how they are tracking you:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nate-h...b_8160400.html

"Now, in 2015, most all of the websites you visit on any given day are being tracked by Facebook. They know what you read and what links you click on and they use this data to keep you on their site longer so you will click on more of their ads."

More here:

How Facebook buttons track you when you’re on other sites

https://www.abine.com/blog/2012/how-...ons-track-you/

"More than a quarter–26.3%–of what your browser does when you load a website is respond to requests for your personal information, leaving the remaining 73.7% for things you want your browser doing, like loading videos, articles, and photos. Google makes 20.28% of all tracking requests on the web, while Facebook makes 18.84% of all tracking requests on the web"

"Most social networking tracking occurs through Javascript. That’s what builds the social buttons you see across the web, like Like and Tweet buttons"

Like I said, I strongly recommend people disable Javascript.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2017, 10:22 AM

Hi

Not everything is a personal attack, just a difference of opinion.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2017, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
In general I think it's best to operate with reasonably high privacy settings. This blocks many of the cookies.

Tools - Internet Options - Privacy Tab

I set it to Medium High or higher.

When websites pop up their defacto banners saying "Use of this website requires the use of cookies" just ignore, don't click on the banner.

After ANY and EVERY visit to a website that has required me to log in with a password I immediately run the option to clear down all cookies and temporary data:

Tools - Internet Options - Delete Browsing History

Tick every box except the first one.

This will ensure that no passwords or sensitive data is being kept in cookies or elsewhere.

Note however that if you are a lazy user who has no care about personal security then you would lose any saved passwords. So if you don't know what they are don't do this.
If this is you, know that your system is very vulnerable to attack and malware/viruses could grab your data and provide your passwords to nefarious hackers.

Really you should ALWAYS enter your passwords manually. Never allow a PC/laptop to store passwords for you. Never accept an offered facility to automatically populate passwords for you, that is patently stupid imo.

As previous poster suggested, Malwarebytes is the defacto software to use to check you system for malware. It is free and can be downloaded easily.

However, word of severe warning . .

Before you ever run a Malwarebytes scan, first go into the settings and change the default settings for:

Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) and
Potentially Unwanted Modifications (PUMs)

Set these to "Report Only"

Otherwise Malwarebytes will get confused with all manner of software programs that it doesn't know about and treat them as threats and "deal" with them.

Once those settings are changed run the scan and watch it pick up any nasties you have on your machine, and most likely there will be some. Often just advertising crap (adware) and the like.
Thanks for this info Realist, very helpful to a clueless user like me
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2017, 10:47 AM

I will say again if you just took out the means of affiliates to earn a few bob from running their websites there would utter online devastation. Vast numbers of people earn their living from such practices. Many sites would simply not be affordable and so would disappear taking with them all the extremely valuable information they hold. Would YouTube exist if not for advertising?

You are right by saying sites absolve responsibility when allowing adverts but who are they allowing adverts from? My own sites do not show any adverts from anyone at all but they do show products. I get a cut from the same process as any other affiliate who displays adverts. It is the same process - more or less. Should I have decided to display adverts these would only be from the affiliate companies I'm linked with - all very reputable as far as I know - the cream of the UK crop. Likewise Google has a massive responsibility to make sure it's own merchant database is of a high enough quality.

As for hackers, viruses - malware merchants these are a real problem I grant you that but they could also be considered something entirely separate. Does advertising allow them a means to spread their influence? Well yes it does but they will undoubtedly find some other means of infecting a person's machine if thwarted by this method. The worse of the lot I find are those that do so on page load - adverts or no.

I agree with you that displaying adverts isn't the perfect solution but it is a system in place that works. Should it be eradicated because of the corrupt few or merely patrolled more vigilantly? Would you shut down a market because a few stalls are selling counterfeit goods or just close the few stalls?

As for changing the system entirely so there is no chance at all of malware being downloaded or affected a user's machine then no-doubt Google will find the answer as it their business model after all.

Going to contradict myself here in that I don't use javascript advertising on my sites as I know it can be a cause for concern but mainly for loading purposes, though I also hate not being in control of any displayed data too. In effect I'm agreeing with you but it seems a shame that something that works for many should be assigned to the scrap heap because of the corrupt few. But if a different and fool proof method should emerge then I would gladly use it. Sure taking it's time in showing though.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2017, 11:14 AM

The internet is a market place - a massive economy. If you consider it is very similar to how street economy works then to remove affiliates would be similar to shutting down all shops bar for the major suppliers. After all a shop is merely selling goods that they haven't produced themselves more often than not - merely acting as middlemen. This is why there is affiliation in the first place as it produces enormous revenue for companies. We are talking billions here and that is just when you consider UK online activities. Take away affiliation and many major producers of goods would collapse over night. The method might be open to question but the justification behind it all is pretty secure.

And I'm pretty sure OFF (this site) wouldn't keep running long without it .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2017, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
The internet is a market place - a massive economy. If you consider it is very similar to how street economy works then to remove affiliates would be similar to shutting down all shops bar for the major suppliers. After all a shop is merely selling goods that they haven't produced themselves more often than not - merely acting as middlemen. This is why there is affiliation in the first place as it produces enormous revenue for companies. We are talking billions here and that is just when you consider UK online activities. Take away affiliation and many major producers of goods would collapse over night. The method might be open to question but the justification behind it all is pretty secure.

And I'm pretty sure OFF (this site) wouldn't keep running long without it .
Hi

OFF is a forum, advertising is a method of paying the running expenses, I do not have a problem with that.

OFF provides a useful service, as do many other sites,however there are many sites whose sole function is to make money by using my personal data purely to make a profit for the owner.

They benefit solely the site owner.

At least now we have laws to allow us to opt out of this by not allowing cookies.

This was not an option previously, thankfully it is now and we can all opt out .
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

27-04-2017, 11:34 AM

I will pass on a tip for Facebook as I use it myself. Of course you still have to install an app and is that trustworthy in the first place? It appears to be as far as I know. Anyway this app is called F.B.Purity. Use it at your discretion as I don't think Facebook likes it one bit so it might get you banned. I haven't been yet .

The above app installs an extra menu link at the top of your Facebook page. When you click on it you will find you have access to everything under the sun with regard to Facebook and more besides. I use it to block annoying requests that plague me about new friends - oh and also adverts. It is a very powerful tool.

I have installed this on Firefox but it is available on a wide range of browsers: Firefox | Chrome | Edge | Safari | Opera | Maxthon.

You can download and install it from here ...

http://www.fbpurity.com/

As for blocking javascript this sounds innocent enough but more often than not websites just don't behave in a manner that you will find comfortable. There are apps out there making it easy to switch javascript on and off without having to delve deeply into your browser or computer settings. Personally I would tend to use one for ease of use.

By the way Facebook will not work AT ALL if you disable javascript though there is an alternative site on offer and probably smilies etc will not work on this site either unless you add them manually.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

27-04-2017, 01:03 PM

I was wondering Realist. Am I to take it that you never watch any YouTube videos? as they certainly don't work on this forum or YouTube itself for that matter as far as I know. Or do you turn javascript on and off to suit?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2017, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Or do you turn javascript on and off to suit?
This.

Websites that I need to use and that won't function with JavaScript disabled I simply temporarily re-enable JavaScript and then disable it again afterward.

This applies to online banking, share dealing and the like. Really not much at all. Youtube yep, requires JavaScript so another temporary enable if I need that.

In general I'd say I have JavaScript disabled 95% of the time.

It basically takes the bullets right out of the guns of advertisers, spammers, malware/virus pop ups and so on.

Obviously I don't nor would I ever use Facebook, a social network that is actively tracking everything you do. Equally no Twitter.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

27-04-2017, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
OFF is a forum, advertising is a method of paying the running expenses, I do not have a problem with that.
I equally don't have an issue with sites that provide a useful service looking for some kind of funding. What I do have a problem with is the choice of funding by renting advertising space such that as a user I am constantly distracted by flashing adverts and at risk of accidentally clicking on them (we've all done it !).

So I visit such forums/sites with JavaScript disabled.

Yes that means I am not generating any revenue for the Admin team here, and I am sorry for that. I am a freeloader using the service for nothing.

Find a different way of funding that doesn't compromise my security, privacy or viewing experience and I'll gladly contribute.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top