Join for free
Page 32 of 276 « First < 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 82 132 > Last »
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2018, 09:42 PM

Re: I've had my chest x-ray

AA is the place to start for my spiritual journey - I have an old meeting I used to go to and sometimes run on Fridays. Although I no longer drink, neither does anyone who regularly attends meetings. Can't quite believe I gave it 6 years of my life but to abandon it. It's a great resource.

Each day I wake up I must tell myself, "I only have this day" and take it from there. I'll do everything the hospital tells me to do, too.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 09:12 AM

Well, I've slept upon it and slept well. I had that wonderful 10 minute sleepy feeling before I arose and just lay there with my vaper. The news doesn't seem quite as dreadful and alarmist as yesterday. Today shall be a day of taking stock, counting my blessings.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

27-02-2018, 10:33 AM

I'd appreciate some feedback although I recognise how difficult it might be for people to respond to this. I'm just going with the flow presently.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

27-02-2018, 01:23 PM

I've got a bone-marrow procedure on Thursday at 11, then chemotherapy starting again on the 6th at 9am both in Ward 1 - it's all coming in a bit fast for me, but if I want to live I guess I have no choice. Nothing on the 5th, thank goodness.

I've already had to rearrange appointments (or trying to) with my G.P. as one fell on the 6th.

Wish I could just relax. There must come a time when the appointments or treatment isn't worth the return - I've no way of knowing when. Plus I've got my affairs to put in order (should have done this years ago). At least writing things down here gives me a backup of my calendar.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 01:58 PM

Ffosse, I can fully understand how you feel, having been through cancer myself, but talking is good and that is why I have replied to your post.
I have a friend who has cancer that cannot be cured so, although she isn't as healthy as she was, she is determined to enjoy the rest of her life...no matter how long she has. It is 2 years since they told her that she cannot be cured, but i have been our to lunch with her several times, we chat on the phone each week and , at Christmas, she got a new baby grandson.
I will tell you what I told her......

All of us are going to die one day, but we can't spend our lives thinking about it because life is for living! We could be killed in an accident tomorrow, no matter how healthy we are, so we should all be thinking about what we would like to do before we die, rather than thinking about how long we have left.

You seemed much happier when you were in hospital, and you made friends there... so keep in touch with them. If you want to talk there are people on here that would be happy to talk to you. Ask at the hospital if there is any group that will talk with you, when you are feeling really down .
Please don't think about the end of your life, consider what you want to do before that happens.....and don't forget, they are finding new treatments for cancer frequently these days and one day it may be a cure. That day could be next week, month or year... so ,please remain positive and be determined to still be here when that news arrives.
Keep smiling my friend.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

27-02-2018, 02:04 PM

Thanks for that, Twink55 - I need to keep things in perspective; although this is my second battle with cancer I think in some ways it would have been easier if I stayed in hospital, at least until my condition steadied somewhat. I hate that building but at least people were around. I certainly don't have years left, this I know, from what they were telling me yesterday. If I could somehow reach 54 it would be a miracle.

But what quality of life would I have? There would and may come a time when one more gruelling chemotherapy course simply wouldn't be worth it.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Thanks for that, Twink55 - I need to keep things in perspective; although this is my second battle with cancer I think in some ways it would have been easier if I stayed in hospital, at least until my condition steadied somewhat. I hate that building but at least people were around. I certainly don't have years left, this I know, from what they were telling me yesterday. If I could somehow reach 54 it would be a miracle.
Then lets work towards achieving that miracle! The chemo may be able to shrink the tumour... that is what it is designed to do and, if it does, it extends your life expectancy.
My oncologist told me that my positive approach is what helped me survive, and he really believed that. I am not saying that your life will always be carefree and happy, because there will be some bad days...... but lets try to make the majority of your time good. A few people, who are diagnosed as terminal, have actually survived ....and I would like to think that their positive mental attitude has contributed to that.

If a time comes where you feel the treatment is not worthwhile, then that will be your choice, but don't give up till you feel that life has nothing more to offer!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 04:19 PM

Ffosse ... at the outset I'll say you have the right attitude. I admire and applaud you for it.
It's not fatalist, but it is realistic and focused on you.
My mum had bowel cancer and one of her greatest regrets was that by the time she had a diagnosis her condition had reached the point where any benefit to her from any treatment was negligible .. I'm sure she felt cheated. Cheated because she felt she hadn't had time to pause ... to enjoy the flowers .. to order her inner calm, to just 'be' and enjoy the things she enjoyed doing... and she would never know if medical advances could have helped her. It is amazing what advances they are achieving nowadays.

Like you she was a spiritual person (though not in a orthodox religious way) and it gave her immense courage and strength which I also detect in you.
Have a hug from the pig.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

27-02-2018, 04:43 PM

You're both right and I'm lucky the illness was spotted quickly even though the breakneck speed of events has overwhelmed me somewhat. I must focus more on what makes me happy and reflect on how lucky I've been so far.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 05:31 PM

Dreamy you are so positive.
Sorry I am useless today.
I have been unwell.
But you are in my prayers.

Page 32 of 276 « First < 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 82 132 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top